Hysterectomy Community
Pain after Radical Hysterectomy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to hysterectomy, such as: abdominal hysterectomy, bilateral Salpingo-Oophorectomy, Laparoscopic Hysterectomy, LAVH, menopause, Oopherectomy, ovarian cysts, pelvic pain, radical hysterectomy, subtotal hysterectomy, supracervical or partial hysterectomy, uterine fibroids, and vaginal hysterectomy.

Pain after Radical Hysterectomy

I had a radical hysterectomy from cervical cancer in 2005 at the age of 24.  Since that time I have thankfully been cancer-free and have been able to live a "normal" life.  For the past 4 years since the surgery, I have been experiencing severe abdominal pain that seems to form around my ovaries and bladder.  My ovaries are touch sensitive, externally and internally, which makes sexual intercourse extremely difficult.  I experience random sharp pains when my bladder gets full, during intercourse, or if pressure is applied to the area. I also have polycystic ovarian syndrome which adds it's own problems into the mix.  I have received no answers from my surgeon other than change positions, take advil, try birth control, or remove my ovaries.  These options have provided no relief. She suggests that scar tissue or adhesions are an "unsolvable problem." From personal research, I have looked into adhesion resolution but seem only to find that if you try to resolve one problem you end up with more pain, more surgeries, and no solutions.  Is there any help for chronic pelvic pain after a hysterectomy? I have heard about biofeedback pain management, but that seems more like therapy than a permanent solution. What about adhesion barriers? Is it worth it to go back in after so long to try and control these adhesions? My husband and I are running out of options and I am starting to think there is no medical solution to this problem yet.
YES YES YES YES!!!!!!!    PLEASE read my information. I have it posted on my profile (just click on my name and look for my journal entries). I also have the information posted on the health pages on both the Ovarian Cancer patient to patient forum as well as the Ovarian Cyst forum. Look under "Relief for Surgical adhesions" if you choose to look there first.

I suggest you print it out and read it... If you have questions PLEASE let me know. I cannot, cannot, cannot believe there is not more universal information out there on all of this. It is Crazy-making. I have NO IDEA where my life would be right now if I had not about collapsed from pain one day while trying to follow my Exercise instructor at this little Community Center in Midwest. The instructor virtually saved my life by spending a half hour with me the next day as she taught me the technique to break up my adhesions. I have not been bothered by them at all for years now. Read to the bottom of my info on the comments from my surgeon who did a laparoscopy a few years ago and was STUNNED to see how clean my insides were (he said that Anyone who has had any type of abdominal surgery will have some type of debrie in their system, but I had nothing!).

I recently googled "Adhesions massage endometriosis" to see what I'd come up with... there are some articles that pop up about massage breaking up adhesions and there are some people who offer specific techniques, but I think the technique I learned is the best, but then again, I am biased!

Take care,

Mary