Hysterectomy Community
Pain two weeks post-op

This patient support community is for discussions relating to hysterectomy, such as: abdominal hysterectomy, bilateral Salpingo-Oophorectomy, Laparoscopic Hysterectomy, LAVH, menopause, Oopherectomy, ovarian cysts, pelvic pain, radical hysterectomy, subtotal hysterectomy, supracervical or partial hysterectomy, uterine fibroids, and vaginal hysterectomy.

Pain two weeks post-op

I had a LAVH along with bladder repair on June 13th.  I was cleared by my Gyn at the 2 week check-up to return to most activities.  Five weeks earlier, I had arthroscopic knee surgery and really needed to get back on the exercise bike to help with that therapy.  I started back at the gym this week working on the bike.  I'm now having pains in the lower right side of my belly.  When I cough or sneeze it now feels like someone is poking me with a sharp stick.  Bladder is still high and dry, but I'm not fond of the sharp stick feeling.  I'm going to skip the gym for a few days and see if it clears up.  I'm just not sure if this is normal, or if I started back on the bike too soon.  Anyone else have pains like this 2 weeks post-op?  Other than this minor problem, I feel absolutely great.  I also feel some tightness in the groin and belly from the bladder sling (I'm assuming).  Does this gradually go away, or do I need to have a conversation with my doctor about it?
Tags: Bladder
Hi there.  Are you sure your doctor meant excercise when he said normal activities?  You do still need to heal on the inside.  I did some searching for you (OK, I couldn't sleep) and found the two following items.

This is a quote from a study of the differences:

Quality of life issues have also been studied and women undergoing LAVH return to normal activity sooner, although at 4 weeks postoperative there is no difference. Right now about 2 out of 3 hysterectomies are performed abdominally. Experts suggest that up to 80% of hysterectomies could be done vaginally or LAVH.

Take a look at the chart on this site http://www.chicagolavh.com/ that shows the recovery times and comparisons.

Do please be careful and let yourself heal.

Thanks for your input.  I had specifically spoken to my Gyn about getting back on the exercise bike.  We talked about it before surgery as well as at my 2 week check-up.  I had been using the bike regularly as therapy for the knee scope I had done 5 weeks before the Hysterectomy.  I'm not lifting weights or doing anything else that I was not doing pre-surgery.  I just added back the bike and leg press.  My knee surgeon won't be happy with me, but I'm going to give up the bike and leg press for another week or so.  Arg!

I have a regular appt with my Internist next week, so I'll ask him what he thinks may be the cause of my pains.

I am impressed.  The LAVH definitely reduces the healing!  Hope you feel better soon.

Take care,
Trudie