Hysterectomy Community
Painful intercourse

This patient support community is for discussions relating to hysterectomy, such as: abdominal hysterectomy, bilateral Salpingo-Oophorectomy, Laparoscopic Hysterectomy, LAVH, menopause, Oopherectomy, ovarian cysts, pelvic pain, radical hysterectomy, subtotal hysterectomy, supracervical or partial hysterectomy, uterine fibroids, and vaginal hysterectomy.

Painful intercourse

I had a complete hysterectomy over two months ago.  I had severe endometriosis.  I am only 34 years old, but I am done having children and I was in so much pain.  Anyway, my recovery hasn't been great.  I still have alot of pain on both sides where my ovaries were.  I also have discomfort when I sit a certain way.  It feels like I have a tampon in, that is the best way I can describe it.  At my 6 week appointment he did a pelvic exaim which was extremely painful!!  He said it was b/c I was so tense.  He said to wait another week to have intercourse.  Which was the last thing on my mind, considering how painful the pelvic exam was!  Anyway, I waited and we tried.  It was still painful!  We have tried four other times since and it still hurts!  I am very confused b/c he went through my abdomen, not my vagina.  So why am I have so much pain and discomfort???  He told me to call him if it last for 4 weeks.  Well, it has but I am sick of calling and compalining.  I know something isn't right.  Oh, I forgot - at the six week check up he ran a CT scan to make sure everything was ok.  It was besides some inflamation (inflammation).  I am tired of this.  One of the main reasons I had the surgery was b/c sex was painful, now it is worse!!!If anyone else has experienced this or can give me some advice, I would so appreciate it!Thanks,SumV
all I can tell you is try some ky jelly and I dont usually advocate drinking but maybe two glasses of wine before hand would relax you..also important your still swollen....it takes different amounts of time for diferent women to heal the first time having sex after hyster is scary for most of us...I wouldnt let spuse insert all the way perhaps try that.
i had alot of pain after intercourse when i had my hysto and the doctor said it could be cause they made it to small and the pemis could be bigger than what they made the cuts for
I have to say that I think you should be getting better care. Tension is one thing... I'd be tense, too, if the thought of any kind of contact in the vagina was going to be painful. Are you able to get a second opinion?

Do you live in the States? Did you have your ovaries removed? and did you have your cervix removed? The term "complete" has different meanings to different people. Just taking out the Uterus can cause a huge disruption in your hormones even if you still have your ovaries. If  you don't have ovaries, it is more crucial that  you get some answers and soon.

There are many very good applications of bioidentical hormones, such as Estrace, that can be used locally ... I know if I am too dry in that area, not only is it difficult to have sex, but honestly, sometimes it is difficult to walk... things are so tight and dry. It is hard to explain. Keep asking questions and keep researching. You are too young to be suffering so much. I understand that inflamation (inflammation) can be painful.. but, what did the doctor say you could do for this. C'mon... there have to be more answers out there.

Check out my profile to find the last number of posts to others... I recommend a book that was very helpful to me. Drop a note if you need to.

I waited three months after my radical hysterectomy before attempting intercourse. Things went very well, except I did have some bleeding afterwards... due to old dried blood. I also had my cervix removed and so they did have to "stitch" a new vagina for me and that is what one of the posters is referring to... sometimes they can come up short. But, this is where more lube and also something like Estrace can help... also more foreplay might help since this can further relax that area, so to speak.

Good luck and keep in touch.

Mary