Hysterectomy Community
Partial hysterectomy instead of tubal ligation

This patient support community is for discussions relating to hysterectomy, such as: abdominal hysterectomy, bilateral Salpingo-Oophorectomy, Laparoscopic Hysterectomy, LAVH, menopause, Oopherectomy, ovarian cysts, pelvic pain, radical hysterectomy, subtotal hysterectomy, supracervical or partial hysterectomy, uterine fibroids, and vaginal hysterectomy.

Has anyone had or heard of anyone that has had a partial hysterectomy (cervix, uterus and tubes removed-ovaries left) instead of a tubal?  I have heard so many horror stories of heavy periods after a tubal, and mentioned that concern to my OB/GYN.  I currently use the Nuvaring, but we are sure we are finished having kids, and I would like to get off hormones (I get the automatic 5lb weight gain).  My OB/GYN recommended the partial hysterectomy.  I am having mixed emotions, I'm looking forward to no period, but am concerned about possible hormonal changes, since I am only 32.  I currently have no "female problems", normal periods, no fibroids (although my mother had them removed recently), nothing.  Just looking for some insight.

Thanks so much!
krwsmum
Yes, many women have partial hysterectomies for medical reasons. In your case, I would not recommend doing this just to keep from having heavy periods. Your body will probably go through changes after this surgery and you may have to take hormones. It's just not worth it if you have no medical reason to have this surgery. See how things go after your tubal. You may be very surprised to find that your periods stay just the way they are. And once you have the tubal you will not need any form of birth control because that is your birth control. Remar
Remar is spot on I agree 100%,,,there is no telling how the surgical menopause may effect you...a simple tubal ligation would be better in my opinion.For the heavy periods ask Dr if a d and c may help
With a partial hysterectomy, leaving the ovaries,  there is no change in hormones.  This way the menstrual periods are gone and the posibility of uterine cancer is no loonger a risk.  The ovaries will continue to function to provide female hormones.  I would recomend this over tubal ligation. RN
I just wanted to comment on Pinoke's post. Although many assume or are led to believe that the ovaries continue functioning normally after a partial hysterectomy, that is not always the case. Once the uterus is removed, there is a risk that the ovaries will produce fewer hormones. It is even possible for them to completely shut down causing a surgical type menopause. The ovaries of an intact woman continue producing hormones after menopause and are shown by studies to produce pre-menopausal levels of testosterone into the eighth decade (ages 70-79). The body can convert this testosterone into estrogen (aromatization) as needed.  

Gynecologic cancers are rare. Lifetime risk of endometrial cancer is 2.8%, ovarian is 1.3%, and cervical is 0.6% as shown here - http://seer.cancer.gov/statfacts/more.html. Since the female sex organs have lifelong functions hence negative effects of removal, it is important to keep our organs absent cancer or a high risk for cancer.