Hysterectomy Community
Post Menopause do you need ovaries...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to hysterectomy, such as: abdominal hysterectomy, bilateral Salpingo-Oophorectomy, Laparoscopic Hysterectomy, LAVH, menopause, Oopherectomy, ovarian cysts, pelvic pain, radical hysterectomy, subtotal hysterectomy, supracervical or partial hysterectomy, uterine fibroids, and vaginal hysterectomy.

Post Menopause do you need ovaries...

I need to know after you have gone thru the change of life....will haviing ovaries removed cause any real hormone changes?  
They say that you ovaries still give out a small amount of hormones even after menepause but I doubt that it is enough to cause major changes with your hormones. If you are having problems with them then I would most likely have them removed.
There are probably many answers to you question since there are so many various factors. How many children a woman has had plays a part...ever on birth controlL? that plays a part as well, from my understanding, how has menopause been for you otherwise, how are you feeling and if you are feeling certain symptoms are you aware that they are, or are not, related to decreased hormones in your system (foggy thinking, confusion, joint pains and aches, osteopenia or osteoporosis, vaginal atrophy, cholesterol levels, and also, what is your lifestyle like....do you eat healthfully? do you get regular exercise? do you do muscle building exercises (either weight bearing exercises or exercises using body form to help build muscle strength, like Teresa Tapp (I think she is great, by the way)....on and on and on.

I was pre-menopausal when my ovaries were removed. Little did I know the huge impact this would have on my life. I lost my ovaries (and about every other "female" internal organ) in 2000 and I fight daily to stay balanced with the bioidentical estrodial, Progesterone, and testosterone that I use. But...then again...that's me. Surgical menopause is not pretty in many instances. If you have gone through menopause already you are still losing some vital hormones even though the levels in menopause are lower (I am repeating myself now...sorry). You are really going to have to dig into the research out there so you can empower yourself on all of the information that is availiable. It is confusing and often contradictive. Not sure how else to say it, but it can be rather individual as to how it effects you, but you should learn what the effects are "inside" your body.....such as how no to low progesterone affects thyroid and cholesterol to say nothing of clear thinking....

I have a ton in my profile so I will stop since ...again...I am repeating myself. This is a huge subject in my opinion.

Take care,

Mary
I went thru menopause when I was 50.  I have osteoporosis, and I am about as foggy as any other 57 year old woman I suppose.  I eat chocolate when I feel unusually biyotchy and thats about how I got thru menopause.  Yes I am having my ovaries out and I am hoping I don't already have cancer....they hurt for a reason unknown to me...but they can go with this stupid uterus hanging out of me.....I will soon be kicking it around.
hi i wanted to know where is your osteoporosis, i have been told i have bone destey is almost to that point am just .5 away from having it my self am 48 had a total hys when i was 23. been told to take 1800mg of calcium but now they saying that causes heart attacks and stokes. i have it in my left hip/lower back and right side of my neck. what does your dr say and what are you taking . thank you
Osteoporosis is porous bones.............and that would be throughout the body.  I am not taking anything.
They used to think it was good to keep the ovaries in hyster....so that they will still produce what the body needs are far as estrogen, projestrin (spell?) harmones, etc.

2 gyno told me b/f my surgery, don't keep ovaries.  I was already in menopause.  That's when they quit working.  They're dead.  

If you keep them, then you'll have to worry for the rest of your life about ovarian cancer.

If the cookies are dead, remove them.
Thank you to all who gave input.  Yes I don't believe the hormone change post menopause is significant enough to keep them.  My dr wants me to have an ultra sound on ovaries to discount cancer first, in case we need another physician in that field.  The waiting is getting to me a little.  I feel like I have all the symptoms...........but its probably a cyst. At my age even that is a worry. I wonder if the recovery time with VH and lap a bi-oophorectomy is much different?
I agree. However I have heard from doctors who have told patients to keep theirs even menepause because they still spit out a small amout on hormones. I personally say if you are going in there to take my uterous then take those too. I had a radical done and my ovaries were still working and I was not in menepause. I chose the radical because I did not want to have the worry of ovarian cancer.
i would have them out why do the surgery and leave them there i had my surgery they took everything but the overies because i was 23 than in a year they had to go back in and get them. just do it , you will be so much better off. am 48 yes i have hot flashes and some stress and my bone denstey is not all that good but start taking a little more calcium eat more of it you will be better off with them gone, never have to worry with cancer and in a year or two when they do need to come out than its surgery again, why take that chance i say GO FOR IT .
Thanks Heartsaflutter................that is a big help to hear that. Thanks
Just remember there are individual differences and I will say that if/when you start to feel symptoms and you are not sure what you should attribute them to, always check out hormonal imbalance first. The symptomes that follow can all be hormonally related......joint pain (due to lack of progesterone which affects smooth muscles) brain fog, fatigue, vaginal atrophy, leg pain/cramping (low progesterone), thryriod issues, bone density, mood, affect, chemical sensitivities, allergies, joint pain, insomnia, bladder issues (again, a smooth muscle issue), low libido, "feeling feminine," motivation, vaginal dryness....I honestly had no idea. All of these plus more can be related to hormones whether or not you have had a surgical menopause or a natural menopause. But all of the hormones in the world are not going to benefit you if your lifestyle is at odds with living healthfully.

As I wrote this I thought...oh, no...I am turning into one of those radicals saying, "don't do this" ...."here are the scarry details"..... and I know that I would be turned off if I thought someone was trying to scare me. That is certainly not my intent. But, just remember that knowledge is power and if you start to feel poorly start doing research. Don't take just one answer for the total story. Decide for yourself what you want to do if the quality of your life diminishes after the ovaries are removed or after synthetic hormonal replacement therapy (HRT) is stopped. or if HRT is making you feel less than well. These are drugs and not easily recognized by our bodies and many women have problems with them or they are not allowed to stay on them for long due to fears. I have never taken HRT.

I have friends who are on HRT and are happy with that decision and I totally respect that. I use biodentical hormones because that is what my oncologist started me on back in 2000. But, after that I was on my own and thought I was going crazy three months after the surgery. I couldn't string a sentence together, could not find the keys I was holding....Memory retrieval problems were the first symptom after all of the hormones my body made naturally were finally out of my body. I was only on estrogen at the time (Vivelle Patch).

It was not until I added the testosterone and bioidentical progesterone that I started feeling sane again. I started the testosterone about five months post surgery but it took even more months after that before I discovered the Progesterone.

I eat healthfully and I have exercised regularly since 1982 except for the year following my surgery. I go to a specialist in bioidentical hormones so I can stay on top of the game. Not all doctors would agree with what I do, but not all doctors totally understand the hormonal situation either. I know that sounds arrogant but I have been asked unbelievable questions by doctors as to why I take Progesterone....but they really mean Progestin...which I would never take.  Then they start asking me questions about my experience on the bios.  
Bioidentical hormones cannot be patented....HRT was developed in response to women taking the bioidenticals, which provide low revenue for the pharmaceutical companies....which is why you frequently read that the big maker of HRT, Whyeth, is trying to shut down or limit compounding pharmacists from distributing the bioidentical hormones. They have tried this for years....about twice a year since I have been tracking this...but they have not been successful thank goodness.

Women are living longer...there are so many unkind types of hormones (pseudo estrogens) in our food supplies and shampoos and creams, etc....and since body fat makes estrogen it will make its way into your system possibly putting you in estrogen dominance, which is what got me into trouble way back in the 90's when I was in perimenopause and knew nothing about all this...again, I am just saying that if you start to feel less well at least investigate the progesterone or take a look at recommendations as far as supplements you can take to help out with your quality of life if it should suffer. No one should have to suffer in my opinion. Things may never be fantastic...but problems can be normalized if you run into problems.

My regular OB/GYN and my Oncologist both practically apologized to me after my surgery which I had since there was an initial dx of ovarian cancer. They told me they had used the "sledge hammer" approachwhen they went in and took out everything, so, in retrospect they would have taken out much less and maybe even saved one ovary if not one plus a part of the other. I would give anything to have been spared a surgical menopause.

So, if you believe that there is a reason for everything, and I do buy into that...mostly....well, I realized that if I could help out even just a handful of people...encourage people to remain their own best advocate for feeling well and getting all the answers...well, then maybe that is why I went through what happened to me. It has been a long road back. I still have moments when my brain feels like it has "disconnected" or just not firing as it should. This happened last week actually when I was unable to get to the pharmacy to pick up my script for hormones. I try not to talk about this at work unless I am in understanding company since most don't understand what I am talking of. But, sometimes it just takes longer than normal to finish a task. And, I sometimes feel overwhelmed, or I throw things out not meaning to do that (like the silver plated earings my husband gave me on our 26th anniversary...and, the favorite watch....In the dumpster. I know I am out of balance when these things happen and then I know I just have to think harder. Ah well.

Long post. Sorry...but, again, this is a gigantic topic really. I will go back to my Ovarian Cancer patient to patient site where I have been posting forever it seems like...

I know I don't need to apologize, I know that...but sometimes I think that when you are offering a different or alternative opinion you can rattle a few cages, so hopefully my intent is understood. You deserve the best life possible and you deserve all of the options and I feel that women are given the short end of the stick too often.

Take care,

Mary
Again, if I might repeat my original question.  I want to know if a woman pushing 60 who is past menopause will have a real change from losing ovaries...........has anyone actually been in this age when having a hysterectomy and oophorectomy? Thanks again.
You know, this is such an extremely new forum for MedHelp that I don't think there is all that much traffic here yet whereas some of the other forums that have been around for some time now and have more people posting and checking questions more frequently. I think this started right before the holidays whereas some other forums have been here for 7  plus years.

I am certainly hoping you get the response you are looking for. You could start a new thread again...it is not uncommon for threads to get "Hijacked" so to speak, but I do think all the information and opinions are helpful.

I did a quick google search with the words ...  effects of losing ovaries after menopause  .....I found some information about this and there was concern about bone loss and cardiovascular disease, mood, etc. saying after menopause there is still a contribution of estrogen (which we knew) and also testosterone and the varios ways these hormones, even at these diminished amounts, affect the body. I think they said the estrogen pumps out for about ten years protecting cognitive function and cardiac issues and the testosterone pumps out until a woman reaches 80 ...and they listed the various functions the hormones serve even after menopause. That's why I posted so much about hormones and ways to get help later if you need it.

I can ask my sister, who is a retired nursing instructor, what stage she was when she had her ovaries removed along with a hysterectomy. She used the bioidenticals, starting them with a specialist in Boston shortly after her surgery and she has used them for about 14 years. She went off them last year for about six months and was miserable. She said the sleep issue was unbearable. She started back Estrodial, a bio Estrogen, about 5 months ago and now is also adding Progesterone again since she is having so many issues with smooth muscles/joint pain. She also has fibromyalgia, so she should get some relief again...I hope. By the way, she is 67 ...and tapp dances....and will be in a parade on St. Patrick's Day as a Baton Twirler with her Twirling group....She's my idol!

Mary
That is so funny. I use to be a nurse, and I use to teach tap dancing...........is that something? hahaha Thanks for all your research and trying to help.  I was hoping someone would come in here and say hey I was 58 and had my ovaries out and it made me a new woman...plus I lost 50 pounds....however thats not happening haha....I guess I will have to decide soon what I want to do.  Just when you get all thru menopause the darn thing falls out, thats just not fair! Thanks again.  Now I am so excited I got the hiccups! arg
Hi Madge,

Wow...that is amazing. Really... funny how the universe connects us together...ok..not sure exactly what that meant, but I am flying out the door to work... I had to laugh at myself though. I noticed I wrote Tapp for tap and that must be because I love Teresa Tapp's workouts and friends and I at work do her three minute how-downs around mid day just to keep us alert and focused and energized.

I got about two paragraphs read last night regarding hysterectomy and hormones and long term stuff. See if you can grab Northrup's book The Wisdom of Menopause. She does a nice job explaining the hormone/brain connection and the various hormones that are steered by the specific female hormones. Like I said, I only got into a chapter and then fell asleep. It was late. But, it is a great book and don't have time for all the gory details right now but Northrup's information quite literally has saved my life in many ways.
So much to learn out there so if I can help by pointing out resources then I have done something.

Off to work.

Mary
sorry...Hoe Downs. Gee, my spelling.
LOl thanks for all your great input
I have been trying to keep my organs intact for the past 2 1/2 years as my gyno's keep pushing for removal even though no cancer, just a risk for it.  Now, both of my ovaries are covered with cysts, all typs and sizes and had another transvaginal ultrasound today to see if any changes in the past 6 months.  I would like to say that since I found the HERS website and had a consultation with Nora I have done everything possible to keep my organs.  I would suggest you go to the website, I think..www.hersfoundation.org and think about your options.  Good luck, TJ