Hysterectomy Community
Post hysterectomy discharge

This patient support community is for discussions relating to hysterectomy, such as: abdominal hysterectomy, bilateral Salpingo-Oophorectomy, Laparoscopic Hysterectomy, LAVH, menopause, Oopherectomy, ovarian cysts, pelvic pain, radical hysterectomy, subtotal hysterectomy, supracervical or partial hysterectomy, uterine fibroids, and vaginal hysterectomy.

Post hysterectomy discharge

Evening everyone - I have a quick question.  I had a total hysterectomy on Nov. 26 2008.  It ended up being more involved than my gyn had anticipated due to severe endometriosis.  All that aside, I am now on day 10 after the surgery and feel eh, pretty good.  Tired, which I know is to be expected, crampy, and still sore around the incision area.  I have a lot of pain in my sides when trying to get up and down, and my walking is almost a crawl, but that is all easily dealt with.  The thing that has me concerned is the discharge that I am still having.  I was told to expect somewhat of a bloody discharge so that does not concern me too much.  What does concern me is twice today I had a watery/bloody discharge.  The first time it was bad, but not too bad.  The second time I had to change my sanitary pad I noticed that the discharge had been so much that it went right through my panties and soaked the back of my nightgown I had been wearing.  Maybe a pantyliner was not enough for the discharge and this is why this happened, but either way it kind of alarmed me.  Anyone else have this happen and is there a great need for concern?  I will be seeing my doctor for a follow-up of the surgery on Monday, but I am curious as to if anyone else experienced something like this post surgery.

Hi There,
I too had a total hysto and appy on 10/15. Mine was done robotically, so thank God, I didn't have the big laparotomy incision, just six small sites. I experienced bleeding for quite some time. I didn't notice any watery or mucus discharge. When I went for my f/u a month later, the surgeon put some silver nitrate on my vaginal cuff incision as it was developing granulation tissue that wasn't allowing an are a to heal. This seems to have helped with the bleeding, but I have now developed a little mucus discharge. I don't know what that is all about, but I have an appt for another f/u in a couple weeks. Wish I could give you more info, glad your going for f/u tomorrow. Let me know how you make out. Im interested to know what this is.
Take care
Laney
I will for sure.  Thanks for your response.  I never imagined that this healing would actually take as much out of me or take as long as it is going to, but here I am now 11 days post op and I am doing better but I feel like I have a bowling ball sitting on my abdomen when I sit.  Im very crampy too.  I'll keep you updated on the discharge.  Any comments from other women are always welcome too.

Karen
Hi again.  Sorry it took me a day to get back to you.  I definitely did question my doctor about the amount of bleeding that I was doing post-op.  Even to her, quite unnormal.  It seems that I was passing a blood clot.  What caused it, she was unsure of.  Possibly my first bowel movement since the surgery, but there was no undue stress or strain to have it (sorry to get graffic).  Possibly a lingering cough that I have had.  The cough, most likely caused by the tube that was put down my throat to help me breath during the surgery, has been quite an annoyance to me.   It could also have been caused by a suture disolving inside me.  Either way, she took the clot out and the bloody/watery discharge has abated somewhat and should stop altogether (barring another clot passing) within a week or so.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
I am 6 weeks out today. I was pretty freaked out by the starting and stopping of the light bleeding that I had....since I was afraid I had torn something when it started again. I didn't have the discharge like you are talking about though...hopefully it will stay away. I agree that the healing is a bit rough...but try to be patient and get lots of rest....it will get better. Hopefully your cough is getting better...I had one too and that hurt like crazy to either cough or sneeze...lol. Take care and let others do for you. God bless...Lynn