Hysterectomy Community
Post op Vaginal Hysterectomy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to hysterectomy, such as: abdominal hysterectomy, bilateral Salpingo-Oophorectomy, Laparoscopic Hysterectomy, LAVH, menopause, Oopherectomy, ovarian cysts, pelvic pain, radical hysterectomy, subtotal hysterectomy, supracervical or partial hysterectomy, uterine fibroids, and vaginal hysterectomy.

Post op Vaginal Hysterectomy

What can I expect post op.  Will I be able to go up and down stairs?  Will I be able to care for myself?  Also if they take ovaries by laparoscopy is that much more post op to delal with?
Post op for me was a breeze. I had a total and had absolutely no problem. I was walking the first day, I took my own shower without help, I was up and down steps without any pain, and I even went back to work the day after I was released from the hospital. For most people going back to work so soon may not be an option, but I sit at a desk all day working on the computer so it was fine for me. Basically you will not be able to drive for a few days, and you will have some weight restrictions but other then that a bloating feeling you will have in your stomach and in your upper back and shoulders for a couple days. They will give you pain meds but I didn't need them. But by all means take them if you need to. The only other thing that I tell you to watch for is post op constipation. This is normal and is the most common complaint after any surgery. I would recommend as soon as you get home to start taking a stool softener. If not you will find out that pushing is not an option and we all know that is not a good thing.

I hope you have as good of luck with your surgery as I did with mine. I look forward to you telling how it went once it is done.
Well you are going to want to take it easy for a bit but walking  should help you recover well as long as you dont over do it.NO wI did take my pain meds when I needed them but I only took them for abourt a week. then I got better and better everday. you will do fine. Just dont try to do too much too soon.
love Venora
Thank you both for your helpful input.  I am feeling more relaxed about this from comments I am receiving. Thanks.