Pre Hysteric?
I'm going to be 60 in a few weeks and have a large mass on an ovary. I will have a full hysterectomy in a few days, hopefully laparoscopically.  In addition to fear of malignancy, I am concerned about recovery. I am in excellent health and fairly fit,10 years post-menopause, never been pregnant. Would hormones be recommended? Which ones and why? What about bladder trouble? How soon might I be able to drive my stick-shift? Return to the gym? Any suggestion appreciated. And best holiday wishes to all.
I think you will be fine and less recovery time with laparoscopic surgery.  You may be limited to heavy lifting and driving for 4-6 weeks.  Your doctor will advise you.  Actually, I had a bladder suspension done when my uterus was removed vaginaly. That tecovery was very uncomfortable!
I have never taken hormones.  Again, discuss this with your doctor.
Hi. When are you having your surgery?
Surgery was last Friday. I had the Da Vinci procedure and have had a wonderful recovery. I've had almost no pain, no bruising, no adverse affect except I feel tired by early afternoon. However, today I started to feel something funny when I urinate - not pain or burning, but a sort of pulling sensation in my urethra and perhaps my bladder. Is this common, a week after surgery? I was catheterized for about 18 hours.

What shocked me was the size of my mass. I was originally told it was about the size of a grapefruit, but it was, in the surgeon's words, "a squashed bowling ball."  I had developed a sizable belly but attributed it to retirement and too many calories, a "food baby."  The "baby bump" is gone and I lost around 5 lbs!

The biopsy performed during surgery indicated the mass was benign, but I'm waiting for the final pathology report. Cross fingers, prayers.

Thanks!

Great news on the surgery....
Pathology report confirmed the monstrosity was indeed benign. I feel great. Many thanks to all, and health, healing, and comfort to you in the new year.