Hysterectomy Community
Pre Hysteric?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to hysterectomy, such as: abdominal hysterectomy, bilateral Salpingo-Oophorectomy, Laparoscopic Hysterectomy, LAVH, menopause, Oopherectomy, ovarian cysts, pelvic pain, radical hysterectomy, subtotal hysterectomy, supracervical or partial hysterectomy, uterine fibroids, and vaginal hysterectomy.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Pre Hysteric?

I'm going to be 60 in a few weeks and have a large mass on an ovary. I will have a full hysterectomy in a few days, hopefully laparoscopically.  In addition to fear of malignancy, I am concerned about recovery. I am in excellent health and fairly fit,10 years post-menopause, never been pregnant. Would hormones be recommended? Which ones and why? What about bladder trouble? How soon might I be able to drive my stick-shift? Return to the gym? Any suggestion appreciated. And best holiday wishes to all.
5 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
974371_tn?1364538460
I think you will be fine and less recovery time with laparoscopic surgery.  You may be limited to heavy lifting and driving for 4-6 weeks.  Your doctor will advise you.  Actually, I had a bladder suspension done when my uterus was removed vaginaly. That tecovery was very uncomfortable!
I have never taken hormones.  Again, discuss this with your doctor.
Blank
Hi. When are you having your surgery?
Blank
Surgery was last Friday. I had the Da Vinci procedure and have had a wonderful recovery. I've had almost no pain, no bruising, no adverse affect except I feel tired by early afternoon. However, today I started to feel something funny when I urinate - not pain or burning, but a sort of pulling sensation in my urethra and perhaps my bladder. Is this common, a week after surgery? I was catheterized for about 18 hours.

What shocked me was the size of my mass. I was originally told it was about the size of a grapefruit, but it was, in the surgeon's words, "a squashed bowling ball."  I had developed a sizable belly but attributed it to retirement and too many calories, a "food baby."  The "baby bump" is gone and I lost around 5 lbs!

The biopsy performed during surgery indicated the mass was benign, but I'm waiting for the final pathology report. Cross fingers, prayers.

Thanks!

Blank
Great news on the surgery....
Blank
Pathology report confirmed the monstrosity was indeed benign. I feel great. Many thanks to all, and health, healing, and comfort to you in the new year.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Hysterectomy Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Emotional Eaters: How to Silence Yo...