Hysterectomy Community
Question about length of stay in hospital

This patient support community is for discussions relating to hysterectomy, such as: abdominal hysterectomy, bilateral Salpingo-Oophorectomy, Laparoscopic Hysterectomy, LAVH, menopause, Oopherectomy, ovarian cysts, pelvic pain, radical hysterectomy, subtotal hysterectomy, supracervical or partial hysterectomy, uterine fibroids, and vaginal hysterectomy.

The doctor "plans" on doing a LAVH/BSO but says that there is a good chance that it will end up being abdominal due to the size of my uterus.  My question is how long do you stay in the hospital, on average, and what happens if I dont feel stable enough to go home and they dont listen?  In Jan 2008 I had a large (size of a bressel sprout) kidney stone in my left kidney, it was blocking the flow of urine and causing a great deal of pain.  I went to the ER and was diagnosed rather quickly.  They put a stent in and watched me overnight then sent me home.  I tried to tell them that I didnt feel right but they said I could feel lousy at home just as easily as I could at the hospital (for the record, I am not going to same hospital for this surgery).  They released me and 2 days later I was still in a huge amount of pain and developed a fever.  Turned out I had a bad infection and the stent had moved causing it to not work properly.  I was so upset that they wouldnt listen to me and it took me twice as long to recover as it should have.  

All that being said I have had surgery several other times and usually feel up to going home before they say I can but if by chance I feel "not right" this time can I insist on staying an extra day or so?
Hannie sad to say but I am in coomplete agreement w you they send people home very often too soon. I had a discectomy on my neck they let me stay one night it was ridiculous.
If you can get your insurance to approve two nights that should be sufficent. Its been proven , although it may feel difficult that the sooner a patient gets up outta bed and walks the sooner they recover also its very very important as it drastically reduces blood clot risks.

when your laying in bed post op they will probably have velcrove, wraps on legs hooked to machine at end of bed that goes off and on at regular intervals, this feels like a squeeze to the leg, its actually kinda soothing feels like a massage.

If you must have a trans abdominal hysterectomy I would think you have every right to ask for atleast 2 nights. Have you heard of the DaVinci Robotic assisted? my uterus was 3x normal size and they removed it w the robot ( in pieces) I had 4 incisions of approsimatley 3/4 of an inch. its minimally invase as possible, best recover and least blood loss, allows precise cauterisations and incisions of the bare eye could not see. Its a remarkable new tech. Not all surgeons are trained on it..ask your dr. Personally if a dr has not done atleast 30 or so of these i wouldnt let him do it to me.

c
also read the thread I have on this forum called know your legal rights, it address some important issues, has lots of good information.