Hysterectomy Community
Sex After Hysterectomy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to hysterectomy, such as: abdominal hysterectomy, bilateral Salpingo-Oophorectomy, Laparoscopic Hysterectomy, LAVH, menopause, Oopherectomy, ovarian cysts, pelvic pain, radical hysterectomy, subtotal hysterectomy, supracervical or partial hysterectomy, uterine fibroids, and vaginal hysterectomy.

Sex After Hysterectomy

I have heard so many horror stories about sex after the surgery. I hear that its just the most awful thing ever. I am really scared by that. Can someone plz tell me this is not so. I am still too early in my surgery to even consider sex but I just wanna know. I had a total abdominal hysterectomy on July 8th. And stay hungry alot for some reason. And I also have severe bloating in my stomach and always passing gas. There is also still a lil drainage but other then that I am fine. Doc says it was also ok to drive.But I am so concerned about the sex part. Can someone plz help me. I was also able to keep one of my ovaries.But it still feels that I am having hot flashes are something.Plz tell me something if u can.
Hysterectomies vary from woman to woman. Put frankly, all though the procedure can be performed safely, not all nerve endings associated with cervix and orgasm/sensation are understood. The types of sensations are bound to change and may take some adjustment, but that also occurs after childbirth. Many women still enjoy sex after a hysterectomy, some more so due to the absence of abdominal pain.

You sound like you are going through adjustments to having decreased sex hormones. What you might consider is talking to your doctor about hormonal therapy for menopausal women to see if they might manage your symptoms better. I'm sure you are probably having check ups with your doctor to make sure you are recovering well, your next visit might be a good opportunity to address with him/her of your concerns.
good luck

At 38 yrs old my periods became a nightmare..Lots of pain, lots of blood and tons of cramping....Went to my OBGYN for a check up and pap, only for her to tell me that I had a fibroid tumor the size of a small apple attached to the uterus....She told me my options, and my reply was simple..."GET IT OUT"...Within 2 weeks I was scheduled for my vaginal hysterectomy...That was done in Dec 2005...It was the best decision I have ever made....I too was worried about the "sexual" side affects, but it never outweighed the pain I was suffering from....Since then, I am completely happy with the results...My sex drive couldnt be any better...I am in my prime, and fortunately have never had to take any kind of homores thus far...Good Luck
I thank you so much for you replies. I am still just entering week 5. My body is still going through so many changes, But I am so glad to hear this info.