Hysterectomy Community
Sex after ovaries removed

This patient support community is for discussions relating to hysterectomy, such as: abdominal hysterectomy, bilateral Salpingo-Oophorectomy, Laparoscopic Hysterectomy, LAVH, menopause, Oopherectomy, ovarian cysts, pelvic pain, radical hysterectomy, subtotal hysterectomy, supracervical or partial hysterectomy, uterine fibroids, and vaginal hysterectomy.

Sex after ovaries removed

I had my ovaries and appendix removed  1 1/2 week ago via lap. surgery.  I was sexual intimate last night with my partner only using a hand.  After reading some post here I started to worry that I should have waited longer.  I had a partial hysterectomy in 2004.  My general surg. said sex was okay when I feel up for it, but I did not ask my gyn. surg.  Does anyone have the answer?  I know during my recovery of when my uterus was removed the six week waiting time, but noone mention anything with the ovary removal.  
why did you have this surgery? PID? Endometriosis? Cancer? the diagnosis plays into the "when"  1.5 weeks in my opinion is a bit soon even for non penetration . Id have t go with the 6 week rule on a hunch..I did a search and found no answers that did not include having uterus removed  also.

Think of it this way  better safe than sorry and if you consider what your insides look like now probably staples. suters..why comprimise that. You are healing let your body do its job and get well.

I would reccomed phoning you Dr. trust me they have heard it all. There is no need to be imbarresed.

What was your partial hysterectomy in 04? they left the cervix???

good luck

Cherie

Thanks for the input.  I did call my dr. and he gave my the okay to have sex.  So I guess I am okay.  Yay!  

I had the surgery bc of adhesion/cyst problem.  Since my hyster. in 04 I have had adhesion problems.  In fact, two surg. to detach one from my small intestine and another surgery to separate the two from each other.  I had my uterus and cervix removed in 04 due to incomp. cervix during preg, and nothing left to test for cervical cancer.  I had a bad cone biospy in 03 and had an artery bleed before I got pregnant.  High risk preg. bc of the complication.  Dr. said I had nothing left to biospy if I had an abnormal pap.  So I opted during my c-section to have it out.  I had too many abnormal paps and was told next one would lead to a hyster. anyways.  I did not want another surgery and no way was I going to spend another six month on bed rest for a child.  Although, he is a miracle and the best thing to happen to me.  :)  

Thanks for the input.  I guess it is diff. than a full hyster.  I should have asked first, but I figured the appendix out was more evasive and the general sur. would have recommended no sex for awhile.  Have a great day!!!
Hi wow we got something in common I was on bedrest for my first child (boy now 18 in army w his own son) yup its a hard thing to do,,but worth it.

your very wise to take care of all those abnormal paps..many ignore. and your bodys giving you a big clue like somethings not quite right .,

glad you phoned dr ,,that took a little guts huh kinda different than writting here..but like I said they have heard seen it all.

hugs
Cherie
So have you had a hyster?  I am in turmoil over the hormone issue.  I don't really want to take HRT, but I am so confused.  I know my body is sensitive to drops in estrogen.  I went off birth control in sept. and had a lot of problems after.  Now that I have my ovaries removed, some of those same symptoms have come back.  I am assuming it is the change in estrogen and once my body balances out they will go away.  Do you have any knowledge or suggestions about hormones?  UGH!  I feel at a loss.  My dr. says one thing and my Chiro., who does more than back work ( more like a naturalpath)  says another.  I hate drugs.  I only try to take them if I have too.  
HRT is very contraversial,,one dr will say "its good for bone health" another will say"it can lead to breast cancer"  and alot of other conflicting information is out on the internet and more.

I had only two main symptoms after my hyster Id get night sweats bad..would wake up in soaked clothing..and I got hot flashes all the time. I used Vivelle patch (estrogen only ) for a yeat then on my own went off to see what would happen..the sweats had completley dissapeared, and I get hotflashes but far less. easier to tolerate..maybe one per week.

Chiropacters are homeopathic drs,..they believe in all natural healing which works great for many things. Drs. (most) believe in holistic healing but also think many if not all illness should be treated w meds.

Important remember Bio identical hormones are actually a supplement of what your body should be producing. Hormones unless used improperly like steroids..are usually safe and if you do not like side effects easy to just simply discontinue..drs are available to develop med combo that may help your chemistry. I know hormones are classified as meds or drugs  but I feel they are in a different catogory.
Its not just estrogen also progestrone and testosterone.

Look up Mary53 on here she is a member who has done alot of very good research on BIHRT (bio-identical hormone replacement therapy) read her journals thats where her research is. If you then have any questions please re-direct to me. Mary has a very busy schedule/job and little time to respond to questions. It is her request that I may share her reasurch but to explain she has very little if any time to respond to questions.
I am on Vivelle patch right now.  I find it interesting that their name is all over it and I have to wear it.  I feel like I have a GAP sweatshirt on and doing advertising for them. LOL!  Unless I am not doing something right.  I tried to take the shiny stuff off with their name on it and it does not come off.  

I broke down and ordered a couple of books about menopause.  Yes, one was the Suzane Sumers book.  I heard her talk on Rosie and she has done a lot of research.  So we will see.  I will check out Mary 53 and she what she has to say.  Thanks.

I have been put into chemical menopause before with lupron.  The only side effect I remember is the night sweats and hot flashes.  I think I could handle those if I decide to do this without HRT.  However, when I went off BCP about four months ago, I got some really bad side effects.  It took abt three months for my body to regulate with my thyroid again.  I just started feeling better than I go and get my ovaries removed, estrogen drops again and some of the same symptoms reappear.  So it makes me a little nervous to go cold turkey.  Apparently, my body is sensitive to drops of estrogen.  I am battling a  over active thyroid right now and trying to get regulated.  I am in the low end of normal and feel I might feel better a little higher.  Plus I am 15 pounds underweight.  Trying to gain...  

What are you taking to reduce your risk of not having estrogen?
I am not taking anything for having no estrogen, Our mothers and Grandmothers did not menopause is just a normal part of life. I am not certain I made the right decision as my bones ache alot now but I do have trauma induced arthritis(MVA)