Hysterectomy Community
Should I get a Hysterectomy?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to hysterectomy, such as: abdominal hysterectomy, bilateral Salpingo-Oophorectomy, Laparoscopic Hysterectomy, LAVH, menopause, Oopherectomy, ovarian cysts, pelvic pain, radical hysterectomy, subtotal hysterectomy, supracervical or partial hysterectomy, uterine fibroids, and vaginal hysterectomy.

Should I get a Hysterectomy?

After suffering from endometriosis and pcos for many years I have been thinking about getting a hysterectomy. My question is for people in my same situation. Was it worth it? Being 33 and facing a childless life is sad but after 18 years of suffering I feel I have no choice. My symptoms are getting way worse and with the pcos all the weight gain in my mid-section is embarrassing...people mistake me for being pregnant. I heard you can gain more weight with a hysterectomy though.
I understand what your going through. I also had endometriosis and ended up having a complete hysterectomy. That was many years ago when there was little they could do for it. There was only one treatment, which was medication. I tried it but it did'nt help.
Now there are more treatments available. Have you talked to your Dr about them? Some Drs recommend taking the pill. There's also laser surgery.
I was blessed to have my daughter before my symptoms started. I can't imagine my life without her. If you want to have children then you should talk to your Dr about other possible treatments.
I did'nt gain any weight after my surgery. Take care. Remar
I've had laser surgery done for the endometriosis a few years ago. Most of my symptoms now are related to the pcos. The symptoms are horrible. Excess hair growth on the face...balding on your head...weight gain in mid-section..acne...it's really hard to look at myself in the mirror and see the old me...it's taken over my life!
NO....no....no....dont do it. I had endo for years. I went a straight year bleeding every single day. I was miserable! I would pass out from the pain on some days. But I would take it back...all of it back....to have my uterus back and be able to become pregnant. I am broken now. That is the biggest mistake and regret of my life. Now that I am married to a younger man who wants children...I am heart broken every time I go to walmart and see someone pregnant or carrying a baby. I hate to even leave the house anymore.
I really understand what both of you are feeling..I lost my first child and used to almost cry walking past the baby clothes in stores.
You really will never know what may have been..you may have sufferec terribly..endo tissue can do odd things..like attach one organ to another, or engulf a organ causing serious trouble,,it has bound ovaries to bowels and more.

Endo also sadly can make it very difficult to concieve (conceive). Or you may have been one of the lucky ones to be able to carry atleast one baby,

Everyone needs to make their own decision..for younger ladies who want babies Id urge you to speak with a therapist as well as your gyno about your desire to have children vs. being pain free. Not a easy choice..

Ask your Dr but there is one med called Leupron that puts you into a chemically induced menopause..perhaps a few months of that could help with the endo and increase chances of fertility ..

Cherie

Leupron causes your ovaries to "sleep".,,which causes it to not produce and egg and in turn, you won't get pregnant.  There are several treatments I have read about lately though.