Hysterectomy Community
UTI infection 1 week post op?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to hysterectomy, such as: abdominal hysterectomy, bilateral Salpingo-Oophorectomy, Laparoscopic Hysterectomy, LAVH, menopause, Oopherectomy, ovarian cysts, pelvic pain, radical hysterectomy, subtotal hysterectomy, supracervical or partial hysterectomy, uterine fibroids, and vaginal hysterectomy.

UTI infection 1 week post op?

Have any of you had a bladder / UTI infection post op?  I have been doing really great up until today.  My back pain was worked out with very gentle massage and extmely careful hip & lower back adjustments from my chiropractor.  He said that they really threw me around on the O.R. table...  Once he did his ever so gentle adjustments my back has been excellent again!

I have been able to get out of the house on a few short trips and can walk around about 30 minutes then it is time to go home and rest again :-)   I am learning that I am recovering well because of the great physical shape I was in prior to surgery.  I was happy to hear that :-)

BUT, today I woke up feeling like I had a flu bug.  All of my joints ached, I felt the urge to pee, without hardly anything coming out.  I have had a few UTI's in the past & I recognized some of the symptoms.  I then began to get chills and felt even more off, so I called my GYN who did the surgery.  She said that she supected that I had a UTI and she called in a script for Cipro.  I also have some Urelle, which I have used in the past to calm down bladder spams.  She told me to take the Urelle too and to come in and see her tomorrow.  She told me that getting these types of infections post-op is very common.  I really hope this is al it is and not any other complication...

Anyone else get one of these post-op?
Hi LynneKay!
So good to hear that you generally are improving so well post-op.  UTI's/bladder infections often happen after surgery if you've been catheterized to empty bladder during surgery and after.  I got one after I had my hysterectomy and was given cipro as well and it cleared up without any further problems.  Although they try to insert the catheter in a sterile manner, it's so hard not to get little nasties up in those little body parts.  I hope you're not having bad bladder spasms as they do hurt, however; with the cipro and clearing of infection you should get relief in a few days.  I also work out lots, and when i had my total hyster. I was triathlon training and I did recover quite well, however; the deep fatigue that a woman feels is truly deep, it's such a sincere tiredness, hard to describe isn't it!  I remember going for my first walk...and it was 5 minutes and it felt like a marathon and I was so darn happy to be moving...Well keep movin' cause that helps the healing...remembering it's so hard to pace yourself...just try not to overdo it...
light and healing, smiles and sunshine to you LynneKay!!!!
Hi Lynne,

above poster said it all, its not uncommon to get UTI post op, the Cipro is the best to clear it up but do keep the drs appt. its important to be certain of the Dx..

Hope you feel better soon , sounds good about the chiropractor,
Cherie