Hysterectomy Community
Uterus adhered to abdominal wall - ab, pelvic pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to hysterectomy, such as: abdominal hysterectomy, bilateral Salpingo-Oophorectomy, Laparoscopic Hysterectomy, LAVH, menopause, Oopherectomy, ovarian cysts, pelvic pain, radical hysterectomy, subtotal hysterectomy, supracervical or partial hysterectomy, uterine fibroids, and vaginal hysterectomy.

Today I went in for a Laproscopy.  This was my third, but unlike before, they found no endometriosis.  Instead they found my uterus had adhered to my abdominal wall.  Because of this, he was unable to move my uterus to look around for endo.  The doctor had suggested a hysterectomy (but leaving my ovaries).  My question is has anyone had this done and has it alleviated their pain?  I've been having IBS symptoms and excrusiating cramping and abdominal pains (like when you have a bad bout of gas) but it's constant!  They have done a colonoscopy to rule out intestinal problems along with a CT and MRI, all came back fine.  A hysterectomy is a huge decision since I'm only 30 and I'm not totally sure that it will solve the pain issues I'm having.  Fertility isn't an issue since I have my 2 kids and my tubes have been tied.  Any similar stories would be greatly appreciated?
Check with Twilight_Princess............you sound like her with the IBS.
Don't think hysterectomy is for IBS....maybe I didn t understand you.
Hey i seen this about adhesions..i am scheduled for a complete hysterectomy in July because of my uterus being stuck to my adominal (abdominal) wall way out of location where its suppose to be my ovaries are not where they are suppose to be one is up near my appendix..now this was all caused from scar tissue from previous csection i think the last one that i had 2 and 1/2 years ago was the worst and has caused all these problems..i wish i had other options he done a laposcopy to find out all this and suggested a hysterectomy for me....have you found out anymore..id be interested to hear whats going on with ya now...
Well I am a few weeks post TAH and the stomach cramps are still there.  Part of me feels that I just did this for nothing.  
I had an open hysterectomy when I was 39.  Lots of post op troubles including a bowel resection 6 weeks later due to adhesions from the surgery, but I'm still glad that thing is gone.  Everything in my pelvic region finally settled down after that.  If I could only figure out how to banish the adhesions around my liver and small intestines, I'd be good to go!

My guess is that your IBS symptoms are from the adhesions (scar tissue) caused by the endometriosis over the years that are attached to your intestines.   If at all possible, ask for the vaginal hysterectomy instead of the open version.  The fewer tissues and structures disturbed by the surgeon's knife results in less adhesion formation and post op problems.
Before I had my partial hysterectomy due to a large ovarian cyst I started having a lot of upper abdomen pain.  This was due to adhesions from previous intestinal surgeries.  My massage therapist did some procedures that greatly reduced my pain in that area.  On the Ovarian Cancer forum one of the ladies posted info about body rolling and how it helps adhesions.  These are some things you may want to look into to help your pain.
OMG I am having the same issues. I know this post is a year old, but I was just wondering if you ever got any  more information. I am going to the doc today to see if he wants to go thru with my partial hystorectomy and I am only 25!
I just can not beleive how similar our stories are, the laproscopics, colonoscopy, tubes tied everything. I hope all went well! Thank you.
Hi. I had a diagnostic lap procedure done today to diagnose what they expected to be endometriosis. He was going to remove any endometriosis and suspected slight adhesions that he would remove. I've had severe pain problems for years, which were increasing in severity all the time. Prior to the procedure I was cramping in 7 - 10/10 pain and bleeding 3 weeks straight, from ovulation to the end of my period. The one week free of bleeding a month was 4/10 pain.

After going in with the intention to seek and destroy endo, my doc found my uterus adhered severely to my abdominal wall and one of my ovaries almost completely encapsulated to the abdominal wall with adhesions.

When I was 14 my appendix ruptured and none of the docs believed I wasn't having a miscarriage so no one even examined me for 20 hrs. I finally had surgery 22 hrs after the rupture. A severe infection followed. Then years later I had my son via c-sect. Then, my old doc gave me an iud even though I wasn't a candidate d/t cysts. The pain continued to get worse. 2 pelvic infections later and many cysts due to the iud I had it pulled. The pain continued and worsened.

The doc was able to separate my uterus from the abdominal wall, remove all adhesions, and save the ovary and remove the adhesions.

He put in a vegatative mesh in to prevent it from readhering. My husband asked when we could TTC and if my fertility would be saved, my doc replied "6 weeks and it will be easy to get pregnant". My husband said "easy?!?" (we've been trying for years with 2 miscarriages by 6 weeks) doc said "Yup and it will probably be a good thing, if she gets pregnant that soon it will be less likely to re-adhere"

If the mesh works there's less than 1% chance of readhering. Thank God. I thought I was going to lose all my dreams.
I FEEL THE SAME WAY I HAD THE SURGERY DONE ALMOST 6 WEEKS AGO AND I STILL HAVE THE PAIN LIKE HE DID NOTHING JUST PUT ME THOUGH THE EXTRA PAIN FOR NOTHING IS WHERE IM AT I GO TO DR THE 17 AND WILL LET U KNOW WHAT HE SAYS BUT IM GOING TO ANOTHER OBGYN ANYWAY FOR AS SECOND OPINION
I am having a hysterscopy and may be fitted with a mirena coil but i am not sure. I cant put up with no mote pain or bleeding. I am considering a hysterectomy to end it all, i am happily married with 2 children and only 30 can any one help or advise me.
I was diagnosed with endo at age 19 and had adhesions removed 3 times.  I did have 2 children in the process but my problems never went away.  At one time my uterus was also adhered to my abdominal wall.  I couldn't stand to sleep on my tummy, which I have always done.  It was too much pressure.  My adhesions have been attached to almost everything!  Intestines, bladder, kidneys, colon, etc.  Sneeze and I would feel a sharp twinge inside my lower right pelvic bone!  I finally had a total hysterectomy 5 months ago and I have never felt better.  Those adhesions can cause so many problems.  Make sure if you have any procedure done that your doctor remove any and all adhesions he can get to.  Other symptoms went away following the removal, but they always come back due to endo.

A helpful note:  my doc told me that estrogen fertilizes endo and progesterone kills it off.  After my surgery he placed me on progesterone for 4 months to kill off residual endo that might be present.  Good luck.
Isn't the mirena an IUD?  If they do a hysterectomy I'm not sure why you would need that.  Maybe I'm misunderstanding.  If they leave your uterus but you have no ovaries, there should be no need for it.
Like littlelady325, I had the same problems. I had went in for a lap and came out with an incision from my belly button down. I was shocked. The only thing my ob said that all the years as a dr he had NEVER seen a case like mine. He even gave me the pictures of my uterus and scar tissue. It has been five years and I am still have pain. I wish I could be pain free.