Hysterectomy Community
VAGINAL CUFF/ ENDOMETRIOSIS

This patient support community is for discussions relating to hysterectomy, such as: abdominal hysterectomy, bilateral Salpingo-Oophorectomy, Laparoscopic Hysterectomy, LAVH, menopause, Oopherectomy, ovarian cysts, pelvic pain, radical hysterectomy, subtotal hysterectomy, supracervical or partial hysterectomy, uterine fibroids, and vaginal hysterectomy.

VAGINAL CUFF/ ENDOMETRIOSIS

HELLO, I HAD A HYSTEROCTMY JUNE OF 2006. I STILL HAVE MY OVARIES. I STARTED HAVING SOME BROWN DISCHARGE ABOUT A YEAR LATER ASSISTED WITH SOME PRETTY INTENSE PELVIC PAIN. I HAD THE HYSTEROCTMY DUE TO STAGE 4 ENDO AND I ALSO HAD PRE CANCER ON MY CERVIX. MY QUESTION IS...CAN I HAVE ENDOMETRIOSIS ON MY VAGINAL CUFF OR ON MY OVARIES??? THE PAIN FEELS JUST THE SAME AS IT  DID BEFORE THE HYSTEROCTMY AND THE DISCHARGE COMES WITH IT! PLEASE, IF YOU HAVE ANY INSIGHT ON THIS FOR ME IT WOULD BE VERY HELPFUL.

THANKS,
ROCKINMOM1
Hi there,
Sorry you are having pain again. I had a total hysto/bso/appy on Oct 15th of this year for suspicious ovarian lesions, huge fibroids and what ended up being severe endo. My gyn/onc suspected the endo (I was never diagnosed with it prior to my surgery.) He said the only way to get rid of endo is to remove the ovaries, otherwise odds are the endo would come back. Mine was all over my bowels and pelvis. I am alot older than you are, Im 45 and probably why they didn't remove your ovaries. It is very possible the endo is on the vaginal cuff and you may have endometriomas on your ovaries. I know the pain from it all really stinks. Estrogen is what feeds the endo and that is produced by the ovaries. Have you had a transvaginal ultrasound? That would show the endometriomas on the ovary or ovaries.
I started on estrogen replacement 2 weeks after my surgery as I was a mess from surgical menopause. My surgeon wanted to wait 6 months prior to starting the hormones to let the endo have a chance to die off, but no way could I wait.
Good luck with this. I hope you have called your gyn to see what is going on. Keep us posted
Laney
HEY, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR RESPONDING SO QUICKLY. THE REASON THE DR. SAID HE DIDN'T WANT TO TAKE MY OVARIES WAS BEACUSE I WAS ONLY 26 AT THE TIME. BUT NOW I WISH HE WOULD HAVE, I DDIN'T FIND OUT ABOUT THE OVARIES CAUSING THE ENDO UNTIL AFTER THE HYSTERECTOMY. I WAS SO UPSET, BUT ALSO VERY HOPFUL THAT IT WOULDN'T RETURN. I ACTUALLY CALLED THIS AFTERNOON AND I HAVE AN APT ON THE 6TH. SO HOPEFULLY I WILL KNOW SOMETHING SOON. I JUST PRAY THAT I DON'T HAVE TO HAVE ANYMORE SURGERIES, HAVING YOUR STOMACH OPERATED ON IS NO JOKE! AS I AM SURE YOU KNOW. I HAVE NOT HAD AN ULTRASOUND SINCE I WAS PREGNANT WITH MY DAUGHTER. SO MAYBE THEY WILL DO ONE NEXT WEEK.
AGAIN, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR RESPONDING!

APRIL
hi,
Here is a thought. Im not sure if it would work, but I know they give Lupron injections to put a woman into artificial menopause when dealing with endo so it gives it time to heal. You could ask your doc about that in order to avoid surgery. You are still really young to remove your ovaries since estrogen is so very beneficial and important to so many things in a womans body, ie.. cardiovascular health, bone health just to name a few.
I don't wish surgical menopause on anyone, but I certainly know the pain the endo can cause. good luck at the docs... Let me know how you make out
Laney
YEA, I HAVE HEARD OF LUPRON. AS A MATTER OF FACT I WAS ON IT BEFORE I FOUND OUT I WAS PREGNANT WITH MY DAUGHTER. WHEN MY SON WAS BORN I GOT PUT ON THE PILL B/C I DIDN'T WANT TO TAKE THE CHANCE OF GETTING PREGNANT ANY TIME SOON. WHEN HE TURNED 2 I CAME OFF THE PILL TO START TRYING FOR ANOTHER BABY, WELL THATS WHEN THE PAINS BEGAN. I DELT WITH THAT PAIN FROM AUGUST OF 2003 UNTIL APRIL OF 2005. THEY DID LAPROSCOPIC DIAGNOSTIC IN APRIL OF 2005 AND THAT WHEN THEY DETERMINED I HAD STAGE 4 ENDO. THE DR.'S SAT ME DOWN AND EXPLAINED HOW SEVERE THE ENDO WAS AND HOW I WOULD NOT BE ABLE TO HAVE ANOTHER CHILD. THEY THEN STARTED ME ON LUPRON TO TREAT IT, AND 3 WEEKS LATER I FOUND OUT THAT I WAS PREGNANT.  NEEDLESS TO SAY SHE IS MY 100% MIRICALE BABY!

APRIL