Hysterectomy Community
What can happen with a non dissolving stitch left in

This patient support community is for discussions relating to hysterectomy, such as: abdominal hysterectomy, bilateral Salpingo-Oophorectomy, Laparoscopic Hysterectomy, LAVH, menopause, Oopherectomy, ovarian cysts, pelvic pain, radical hysterectomy, subtotal hysterectomy, supracervical or partial hysterectomy, uterine fibroids, and vaginal hysterectomy.

I had a hysterectomy done back in March of this year. I was bleeding after the surgery for about 5wks before I really knew anything could be wrong. I went back in and they found that there was a stitch that had not dissolved. They removed one half of the stitch cause they couldn't get the other half out. After removing the half of stitch they found out it was actually a non dissolving stitch and will never go away. Since then I have sharp pains that kinda come and go. I have been back in a few different times and the doctor who did the surgery thinks it may be the stitch, but the head of the department doesn't think so. They now have me on some pain meds and say I need physical therapy. Could this actually be from the stitch that is still in me?
Yes it could be, oh boy this ones a toughie, Im sorry your going though this, I will be honest with you, and say what Id do , I think yes its possible its the stich, are other things possible yes. However the body works to eject forgein objects it can take a long long time. I had a little tiney boney fragment from apulled tooth it took a year, it hurt when it finally worked it way to surface I picked it out it was so small couldnt believe it hurt ,Kind of like a splinter your body will work it out.

Now since this is a stitch the dr put in the wrong type of sutures,Id ask them to remove it, should be relativley simple, since they got 1/2 out it cant be too deep.
Can you tell me what the head of dept thinks it is?  If it is the retained suture, it may be gathering scar tissue and becoming larger, given the time frame..things left in body that are not natural material can become hardened and more difficult to remove.

Pain meds are ok but you know its a bandaide its masking what ever is going on,,so you have had your surgeon and the head of dept 2 opinions correct?

what does the skin look like near the area of retained stitch, red, raised. ? any descriptive words would help.
I am almost inclinded to think maybe a dermatloigist may be a good option, they are used to dealing w skin, in and of differnet layers, this suture must be in the skin still not the fat or muscle or they could not have gotten half of it.

can you get back w me and answer some of my questions Id like to help more if I can.

Cherie
I had a c-section 9 months ago & Iv'e had nothing but problems ever since lots of infections now the right side of my incision has sunken in Ive been getting alot of knots coming up! I went to wound care & was told that I had possible retained suture & that the doctor who did the surgery should see me for free to fix this problem! nobody is sure why the right side has sunk in. It looks like a hole! Does anybody have any possible answers or suggestions on what I should do? Should she fix this without charging me?
I had my total hysterectomy in 2003 and just discovered a stitch in the vaginal cuff.  What is involved in having this removed?  Could a dissolvable stitch stay in there that long?  
I had a total hysterectomy 1 yr and 3 months ago and went to the dr yesterday because I didn't feel right and had a pinkish discharge. My stitches are still intact. I am scheduled for surgery next wed to have them removed and tissue repaired and stitched back up again!! So yes they can stay in that long.