Hysterectomy Community
ghost ovary

This patient support community is for discussions relating to hysterectomy, such as: abdominal hysterectomy, bilateral Salpingo-Oophorectomy, Laparoscopic Hysterectomy, LAVH, menopause, Oopherectomy, ovarian cysts, pelvic pain, radical hysterectomy, subtotal hysterectomy, supracervical or partial hysterectomy, uterine fibroids, and vaginal hysterectomy.

ghost ovary

I had an open hysterectomy in 2003 removing my uterus & rt ovary. The left ovary was left for hormonal purposes. In 2006 I had another open surgery to remove the lt ovary which had adhered to my colon.
My gyn literally scraped my ovary from the the colon and removed the entire ovary.
I was hospitalized recently with vomiting and lt uretera obstruction. Upon sonogram testing, it was noted that my left ovary was inflamed. After arguing that I don't have a left ovary, my history and medical records were reviewed with the conclusion that I don't have a left ovary, but whatever was there now was in the same place, shape and general size of an ovary.
This mass was obstructing the urethra causing my kidney to not drain. So, a stent was placed in the urethra to ensure drainage.
Now, we are on a quest to find out what this mass is that resembles an ovary. My gyn doesn't want to go in for fear of more scar tissue and adhesions permanently attaching to the urethra causing more extensive problems.
So, any ideas on where to go next or what to do? My family physician wants to do antibiotics for two weeks and then re-xray the area to see if it has changed in size. If it enlarges, I'm in trouble.
They don't want to tap it because of the fear it may be tissue and bleed. If it's a fluid filled mass, then it would be fine.
Any points of direction on who I may want to consult with or what medical direction to go?
Tags: Colon
I have heard of Ovary Remnant syndrome but don't know a lot about it just that if any little piece of the ovary is left behind it can sometimes regrow. Maybe check that out. It sounds like your doctor will be monitoring you and that is good. Make sure to have followup TVUS. I hope everything works out for you.
Take care,
Teresa