Hysterectomy Community
hormone hell

This patient support community is for discussions relating to hysterectomy, such as: abdominal hysterectomy, bilateral Salpingo-Oophorectomy, Laparoscopic Hysterectomy, LAVH, menopause, Oopherectomy, ovarian cysts, pelvic pain, radical hysterectomy, subtotal hysterectomy, supracervical or partial hysterectomy, uterine fibroids, and vaginal hysterectomy.

hormone hell

I had a radical hysterectomy and salpingo-oophorectomy as well as the removal of 19 pelvic and peri-aortic  lymph nodes for squamous cell cancer and sarcoma  on  November 6th.Since then I have had hot flashes, cry at anything and get angry over little things,  My husband can't take it and calls me a whiny baby to everyone.  It does not help that my recovery was slow due to complications and side effects to chemo so I need extra help, Has anyone else had a similar experience? How long did it last?  I am 57 and went through menopause 7 years ago.
Nobody should call a person recovering from surgery and chemo a whiny baby.  Tell your husband to go live with his elderly parents until he can remember that he signed on for sickness and health.
I am going through the same thing. I am 41 years of age and actually moved back in with my parents temporarily until I am fully recovered. The good thing for me is my mom had this done at age 25 so she understands. It is still very tough and yes, I wish men could remotely understand what this is like. Most men cry over a cold, they have no idea what this is like. Hang in there and know you are not alone.
Hi, I had a hysterectomy, salpingo-oophorectomy & omentectomy on 11 Dec last year so I am 8 weeks post op. (I'm 42) I had to fight with my doc for 5 mths  before anyone would listen to me and accept my pain was not normal.  Doc found a 6cm chocolate cyst and a 14cm cystic lesion.  They told me it was possibly malignant and so they would have to remove everything.  Thank heavens it was a benign cyst but am so angry at the docs for not listening. I can't function properly. A friend has been taking my 6 & 10yr old boys to school then I go back and lie in bed.  I know that I shouldn't do this but I can't get my head clear.  My husband is very supportive but we are self employed which brings its own worries.   Are you on any hormones?  I'm taking HRT which really helped with the hot flushes, night sweats and non.-sleeping.  Still working on the anger and the tears.  I guess these are all natural emotional reactions to what has happened......... Though I think your hubbie needs to treat you with a bit more kindness and understanding.  

You've been to hell and back..........It wouldnt be normal to just accept it and get back to where you left off!  I'm going to talk it through with my doc - maybe you should do.

Try and stay strong (that's hilarious coming from me - back in bed, tears running down my cheeks!!)

Thanks for sharing your story. I can't take hormones because I had breast cancer at age 38,  I still cry and my dr said it's normal, I will learn to live with it,
What you're going through is completely normal. Your husband needs to understand this. I'm not sure about this because of the cancer but ask your Dr about taking Black Kohosh. I think that's how it's spelled. It's a natural supplement.
Hi there, I'm so sorry that you're going through this.  I went through a total hysterectomy due to cancer in 1980 and did experience immediate surgical menopause right after my surgery.  I was placed on HRT  - estrogen and estrogen vagina cream.   I was 23 and had a 14 month old baby girl at home and needless to say it was a very difficult time.  Reach out to family and friends for support.  Baby yourself, rest and try to relax.  Look into alternatives to estrogen and dont stop until you find something that works for you. You are still young and have many more years ahead.  I'd suggest looking into naturopathy for alternatives.  Big hugs, try to take one day at a time, life is beautiful even when we are in pain and we are here for such a short time.  Take care of yourself.