Hysterectomy Community
hormone therapy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to hysterectomy, such as: abdominal hysterectomy, bilateral Salpingo-Oophorectomy, Laparoscopic Hysterectomy, LAVH, menopause, Oopherectomy, ovarian cysts, pelvic pain, radical hysterectomy, subtotal hysterectomy, supracervical or partial hysterectomy, uterine fibroids, and vaginal hysterectomy.

hormone therapy

I am 56 yrs old and had a total hysterctomy today.  I have been through menapause, but never took anything.  Just put up with the hot flashes, night sweats, insomnia etc.  My skin is not so dry, but I am very dry vaginally and after many years of enjoying sex, I no longer desire it at all.  Haven't for about 4 yrs. which doesn't make for a very happy 43 yr old boyfriend I have been living wih for 7 yrs.  He is very tolerant and I do what I can.
    I have never thought about hormone replacement and have no knowledge about it at all.  My doctor is going to talk to me about it next week when I go for my post op appt.
    I have read several of the posts on this site, but it seems that all of the ones I read were much younger than I, and had not gone through menapause 1st.
    I had started bleeding again, was told by one doctor it was benign fibroids that needed to be removed.  when I went to another doctor recommended by a friend, whom I had accompanied her to the doctor on a couple of occassions and really took a liking to her.  She examined me and found a polyp at the mouth of my cervix, turned out to be pre cancerous.  Also the lining of my uturus was much thicker than it should be for my age.
    I opted for the ovaries to be removed also, since ovarian cancer is one of the worse and because of my age.
    I would like some info before I see her again, info about someone who had already gone through menapause.  I have heard you can go through it again.  Don't know if that is true or not.

Any help and info will be greatly appreciated,  Debi
You can have symptoms after having your ovaries removed even if you've been through menopause. It's because the ovaries are still producing some hormones after menopause. Now that you've had them removed they can not produce hormones. Since you did have pre cancerous cells your Dr may not want to put you on any hormones replacement. Some women are able to take Black Cohosh though. You can buy it over the counter. This is something to ask your Dr about first before trying it.