Hysterectomy Community
lesion ? hydrosalpinx 10 years after hysterectomy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to hysterectomy, such as: abdominal hysterectomy, bilateral Salpingo-Oophorectomy, Laparoscopic Hysterectomy, LAVH, menopause, Oopherectomy, ovarian cysts, pelvic pain, radical hysterectomy, subtotal hysterectomy, supracervical or partial hysterectomy, uterine fibroids, and vaginal hysterectomy.

Hi, I had pelvic pain for 2 months, now gone, ultrasound showed a lesion at the vaginal vault which appears to be a hydrosalpinx.  My gynacolagist wants to do a laparoscopy to gain histological diagnosis & removal.  I had a abdominal hysterectomy 10 years ago leaving my tubes and ovaries.  I am reluctant to have this surgery as the pain is now gone and it is going to take 6 months before the hospital can do this surgery.  Is it likely to resolve if it is a hydrosalpinx?  Or do they just get bigger.  My doctor said he would have a bowel doctor on standby in case I had adhesions from the previous surgery.  Does this mean there is more risk to having a laparoscopy?  My sister nearly died from a laparoscopy 8 years ago when they pieced her bowel and she became septic, hence my reluctance.
Any advice welcome
jennyjb
Hi..I am going to answer your last question first..I am sorry for what happened to your sister..usually when bowel is "nicked or pierced" infection leading to septis does set in..however this is very rare..Your dr having a bowel dr on standby is very good thinking on his part and shows he is prepared.

Yes removal of hydrosalpinx ( water collection on distal ( closest to ovary) end  it spreads down fallopian tube. One can see how bad that would hurt.A females ovary is very sensitive thats why cysts etc..hurt so much.

I am just a bit confused..he wants histology which is good . you want to know what is causing this. the removal of tube does it include removing ovary on same side? Or is he waiting to see what he sees? A Lap is a good surgery in the upper 90% of cases.

Unfortunatley a hydro tube will not get better on its own, it may get worse, you certainly do not want a rupture.

Cherie

Thanks for your reassuring reply, as I now have no pain I was hoping it would all get better on its own.  Not sure which bit you were confused about so here is some more info.  My doctor says if it is easy to see the ovary he would remove it, but if there were too many adhesions from my previous surgery and it was difficult to get to, he would leave it. I didn't mention I was 52 years old and been through menopause.  He is not 100% sure it is a hydrosalpinx, which is why he wants to do the laparoscopy & histology.  He tells me it is not common for this to happen after hysterectomy.  He was very good at answering all my questions, I just thought of more once I got home.  How did you get so knowledgable, personal experience or do you have some medical training?
Seeing the pain is gone, I am tempted to cancel the surgery, so looking to get as much info as I can first.  I have an appointment with my GP in a few weeks and will also talk to her about it.
Thanks agian, jennyjb
Hi, I was confused on drs intents on removing ovary or not on same side. especially since your post menopause it would make much sense. Do you have ovarian pain? If you have may addhesions, endo tissue or the ovary is difficult to get to because of these reasons..would seem all the more reason to infact remove it.

Very good he admits not sure..and he is wise to do the histology and lap diagnostic.

I am not a dr or nurse,,I have been to two different colleges for med careers such as PCT and CNA...I really got most of my knowledge of hysters..from my own I reasurch everything when I have it including any med I take.  I learned a lot as I went on from being CL one year ago to now..I dont anwser unless I feel its a valid good responce. I still do searches on things..but honestly many of the questions on her are about the same 10-20 just worder differently. A hysterectomy is a scary, physical and emotional and hormonal change.
Be careful about the pain being gone..get a sm notebook and write dat and some description of last pain...then if/when it happens again date and descriptive words, This will help your dr see any pattern.

hope you feel better soon.