Hysterectomy Community
lower back & leg pain after hysterectomy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to hysterectomy, such as: abdominal hysterectomy, bilateral Salpingo-Oophorectomy, Laparoscopic Hysterectomy, LAVH, menopause, Oopherectomy, ovarian cysts, pelvic pain, radical hysterectomy, subtotal hysterectomy, supracervical or partial hysterectomy, uterine fibroids, and vaginal hysterectomy.

I had a hysterectomy in March 2009. I had internal bleeding and had to be taken back into surgery the next night. I continued to have pain, had my cervix taken out in Nov. 2009. I still continue to have aching & pain in my stomache that runs to my lower back and all the way down my legs. Most recently  I have a sort of shooting pain running from my lower back down my buttocks & continuing down my left leg to my calf. What would be causing this and what could I do about it?
Honestly, I'm not really sure what's going on. It sounds like it could be your sciatic nerve but that should'nt be causing the stomach pain.
Have you been back to your Dr for any testing? I think you really need to do that.
That is weird....I had a Total Hysterectomy 4 months ago and I still have pain in my incision area.  I had a 10 cm mass that was twisting my left ovary and I am wandering if I have nerve damage where the ovary was.  It's kinda poofy and hurts when I press on that area.  

I also have a bulging disc in L4/L5, my back hurts and my left leg radiates from my hip down to my knee cap.  My surgeon doesn't have any answers for me.  I have been going to a Wellness doc and a Chiropractor.

How long does it take to completely heal from a Total H abdominal surgery???
Hi Tammy,

Oh my gosh, this sounds so much like what I went through in 2007. I wondered if it was the sciatic nerve, as Remar suggested. I went to see a specialist and they took an X-ray but said it looked "Pristine" so they doubted it was the sciatic nerve or any problems with the back. If only they'd done an MRI at that time I would have been spared a ton of money, horrible pain, and surgery (had a lap wondering if it was adhesions even though I thought I'd taken care of the adhesions years prior).

I had insides as clean as a whistle (the lap surgery showed this) so I was also back at the starting gate trying to find out why I had so much pain. After experiencing a foot-drop, I was advised to see a Neurologist and he ordered a nerve test. It showed significant damage on the left leg stemming from the back so an MRI was taken and it showed a slipped disc.

Two years of Physical therapy have helped immensely. I was close to getting the cortisol shot in my back, but didn't get it after all. Nice to know it was available, though, since the pain was unbearable at times.

I think in my case (and if I am correct and something is going on with you that is similar to this) I think the pain in my back was reflected to the front. ALL of my pain was in my front area (stomach). They did a colonoscopy to rule out problems since I had so much pain in that area. I didn't have any back pain until just before my Dx. It took 8 months to get a diagnosis. I hope and pray you won't have to wait that long.

Just another thought.... take a look at my journal page for information about adhesions. They can really play havoc with us, too. I had terrific pain from adhesions for about a year until I found a special massage that broke up the adhesions (I've had relief since).

Good luck and I hope you get some answers soon.

Mary
Hi Tammy. I just saw your second post (I'd had this page minimized all evening and had not had a chance to answer until now, so I had not seen this post prior to my writing). The bulging disc just very well could be the culprit. I would think that the sooner you start physical therapy, the better.

As far as possible nerve damage (where the ovary was) I wonder about that, too. I will say that nerve pain is the worst...someone should be able to answer that question for you. Hopefully your surgeon will help you out.

Mary
OK, sorry, guys. I see that Tammy didn't post the comment about the bulging disc... I'm sorry. I think I should close up for the night and head to bed:)

Mary
Thank you to everyone. Several things mentioned have crossed my mind. I have had several ct scans and, of course, they show nothing. An MRI has not been suggested but I've already been buried in doctor bills and want to see the right kind of doctor instead of jumping from one to another for every kind of test there is...again. I, too, have had a colonoscopy and see a chiropractor. Adhesions was another thing that I'd thought about, but is there a test that they show up on? I was told no.
It might be time to get an MRI because it should show if you are having disc problems. I do understand how the Drs bills can add up fast during something like this. But you need to find out what's going on.
You might want to wait for that test before seeing your Chiropractor again. Don't get me wrong, I see one myself, but if you have a bulging disc this can make things worse.
I would go with the MRI and if it shows nothing wrong then you might want to talk to your Dr about having a laparoscopy done to see if there is any scar tissue causing the pain. It's a pretty simple procedure where they go in through your belly button to look at things.  Remar
I have lower back pain, my thighs hurt, my hips and buttocks hurt as well everyday. Every day since I was drunk and did a stupid manuver. Im thinking the sciatic nerve??? What can I do to help the pain?