Hysterectomy Community
mood swings after hysterectomy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to hysterectomy, such as: abdominal hysterectomy, bilateral Salpingo-Oophorectomy, Laparoscopic Hysterectomy, LAVH, menopause, Oopherectomy, ovarian cysts, pelvic pain, radical hysterectomy, subtotal hysterectomy, supracervical or partial hysterectomy, uterine fibroids, and vaginal hysterectomy.

mood swings after hysterectomy

what do  you do for mood swings after a hysterectomy
Hi, wondeful question. Im going to answer it on a few different levels, emotional, mental, and physical.

Ok.this is one heck of a serious surgery, your entire reprodutive system has been removed,( if tubes and ovaries are gone too) if not even the uterus and cervix is a big deal, Physically the uterus is a decent size organ, if normal size its about the size of a pear, The majority of us women who get a hyster have enlarged uterus's,Its a big shock to the body to have this removed, your body always works to protect its self. things shift to fill the void were the organs once where, So many physical things are happening with that and the body trying to heal that, that is where your bodys energy is going so,,,many of the endomorphines natuarally released into brain kinda slow down thus a bit of depression/ moodiness/ weepiness/ this part should pass with in a few weeks.Its also a way your body is telling you to rest take it easy not do too much.

some, not many women have post surgical stress disoder. much like baby blues or the type of post trauma stress some people have after a event like comming home from war.
If you feel that blue or have an thoughts of self harm do phone your physician immediatley.
If you have what most of us get kinda what I call the "blahs" its important to force yourself to maintain some normal routine do not neglect self as in take a shower every day. get dressed in some comfy loose sweats , pjs what ever.make sure you eat 3 normal meals per day. You do of corse have to rest alot , during this rest time its easy to feel frustrated cause you arent being productive, Try to think of it as a vacation from responsibilitys. Play some computer games, rent some good chick flicks, etc..If your not tired and cant nap keep the brain busy.
There is an herbal product called Black kosch sometimes spelled Black Cosch, it works well for most women to get hormones back on tract, you should ask dr before taking these. Also if you feel you need it ther is no reason at all to not ask dr for some short term help like maybe some xanax or valium.
Most importantly know this is normal, you have been through a trauma. It will get better.
Your most welcomed to pm me anytime with any question big or small. I will do my very very best to help you,

Best wishes, cherie  

ps.....also we have a social forum here its a great way to get to know members and theres fun polls and games to play. Its under forums as MH Social there is a womans social too, but its a bit different check them both out !