Hysterectomy Community
reaction to dissolving stitches

This patient support community is for discussions relating to hysterectomy, such as: abdominal hysterectomy, bilateral Salpingo-Oophorectomy, Laparoscopic Hysterectomy, LAVH, menopause, Oopherectomy, ovarian cysts, pelvic pain, radical hysterectomy, subtotal hysterectomy, supracervical or partial hysterectomy, uterine fibroids, and vaginal hysterectomy.

reaction to dissolving stitches

Just had laparoscopic abdominal repairs done 8 weeks ago and although the incisions healed I now have a red small bumpy rash around each incision and it is VERY itchy. My surgeon is away till tomorrow and the on call dr said might be an immune response to dissolving stitch material? I tried benadryl and otc cortizone cream but not much help. Anyone here of this?
It sounds like your body is fighting with your stitches thus causing the immune response.  You can take 50 mg of benadryl .  You may need something more potent.  Keep us posted with whats happened.
Mine have still not dissolved since Feb 5th.
Hi I saw my internist because the surgeons office had the nerve to say that itching is a normal healing response. When I said NO it's a rash too I got frustrated and gave up with them. SO my internist said it's definitely a reaction of somekind and put me on Prednisone for a few days. Things have improved but I am concerned that once I stop the pred it'll come back. Why aren't things dissolving? What happens if they don't?
I don't know he said he could go up inside and trim them if they are bleeding or bothering me. They are not bothering me except I still need panty liners due to the discharge they continue to create. I am so thankful I didnt have a reaction like you, jeese thats really something. How are you feeling now? I wouldnt think it would continue after the prednisone.
I am not itchy now after being on Pred a few days. I am also using aveeno anti itch cream on the red spots. I assume after a while you should have them trimmed out right? I guess I would want to because they might cause me reactions and won't they be in the way for sex? My dr. said at the 6 week check when my husband asked about resuming sex and he said he wouldn't want to do it until the stitches are gone because it can be more uncomfortable for the guy to feel them then me. How are you feeling otherwise? Have you resumed all regular activities? I am 9 weeks post op now.
No, if you have sex prior to there dissolving you can bleed, thats what my surgeon said....I don't think mine will ever dissolve hahaha....I wonder if I will even see them?  I have lost count  I think 15th week maybe.  I hope thats the end of your problem with them.  My surgeon said he would trim them if I wanted, and I said nah just leave them ....
I am not in any hurry....the grand kids are always here anyway haha...so no hurry in the other dept huh....
Were your dissolving stitches at one time showing on the outside and aren't showing anymore?  I ask, because I had dissolving stitches and mine were on the outside and I had issue's and was searching for help and info from others, but nobody could relate.  It turns out I finally got them taken out last Thursday at my 6 week check up, because I kept having infection problems.  

As far as the itching I would say that's just a part of the healing.  Tomorrow makes 7 weeks since my surgery and I'm just starting to get real itchy too and it's a PAIN.  My surgery was April 18th, when was yours?  

I hope things get better for you.  Blessings, Sharon :)
Are your dissolving stitches inside and out?  Mine were both and I had to get mine cut out on the outside.  I don't understand about the inside ones I KNOW they aren't gone, but yet I got releases at my 6 week.  He said to just listen to my body and take it SLOW......  If I hurt, have any discharge or bleeding to wait and keep trying.  I am 7 weeks post op and just now seem to be letting up with the discharge.  Going to give it extra time to play it safe.  

My COMPLETE FRUSTRATION IS WHEN ALL THE DOCTORS TELL US DIFFERENT THINGS.  There should be STANDARD RULES for things!

Hope you're all doing well.  Sharon :)
I don't think stitches on the outside dissole. They usually have to clip them at the tied area.  The ones inside do dissolve but everyone takes different amount of time to do so. Mine I think are still in there because he said the discharge was from that, and I still have to wear panty liners.  Some people have reactions to the stitches same as some people have reaction to the tape they sometimes use. Its a **** shoot hahaha if you get something like that I think.  I had surgery Feb 5th and mine are still in there. He offered to cut them a bit but I said nah they are not bothering me.  You will be ok just give your self time to heal.....it takes a long time to fully recover...up to a year for some.