to keep ovaries or not?
I am scheduled to have a hysterectomy soon. The doctor wants to take my ovaries. My mom and both of her sisters have had hysterectomy's. My mother and 1 aunt had early onset of Alzheimers. both took premarin. I have read and studied that HRT's like premarin have a high risk of dementia and heart disease? since my dad had heart disease and most of his siblings and family have had heart problems I am worried.

I have Endometrosis and also prolapsed Uteris. I Have also had a lot of painful periods. and have had 3 children all weighing 8'11 9' 9 and 8' 9....  I also have had Hypothyroidism since age 6mos.
I will give you my opinion, which does'nt count for much because I am not a Dr. There is no way I would take Premarin. There have been too many women in my life who have taken it and had problems.
You do not have to take this med. There are many others out there to choose from if you and your Dr decide you need one.
I'd keep the ovaries, myself.  However, you will still have endometriosis as long as you have hormone action.  Talk to your doctor about this specific issue, and ask (if you will be on hormone replacement therapy) about being on estrogen in a form like estrace.
Thank you for responding. I WILL NOT take premarin. luckily I work at a pharmacy and get the pharmicist's opinion on medication.
Thanking for responding. I know that is why he is taking the ovaries. I will have to ask my pharmacist about estrace...
I kept my ovaries because I just didn't want to go surgically into menopause. If they take your ovaries, you will go straight into menopause. If there is not history of ovarian cancer, I suggest you kept your ovaries. I do sugguest that you have them take the cervix because cervical cancer is a possibility and if you keep it, there's a possiblilty that you may have some bleeding.
I am 1 week out of surgery of total  hysterectomy they did have to take my ovaries. they were full of endo I am still feeling pain. I am starting on Ville patch. I also have had hypothyroidism all my life.. wondering how this will play out hormoneally....