vaginal bleeding in elderly women
  My mother in law has experienced frequent and heavy bleeding that required her to go to the emergency room. She is 72 and had a hysterectomy 30 years ago. The Dr's seem unable to find the cause. She has had all the normal tests done. I am worried she might bleed to death. She had to use 2 packages of pads and then start using kitchen towels within a 24 hour time period before her last trip to the ER.  
My mother is 85 and just started having the same problem as your mother in law.  It doesn't sound like she's bleeding quite as much but
she'll have a clot followed by one to two pads. Then, gradually it tapers off for a day or two.
So far she has been to a urologist for tests on-nothing abnormal found. I rushed her in to her internist  the last time she bled and  she wad able to see that my mom had blood coming from a vein in her vagina....(vericosity she called it.) The doctor put silver nitrate on the vein and for two weeks my mom was fine.
Today it started again. Tomorrow she is going for a cat scan to see if there is any sort of obstruction in her pelvic area.
Its so frustrating...You must be worried as I am. (My dad just died from pancreatic cancer last week so its been even more difficult for my mom.
if you go I mean soak more than one pad per hour for a few (3) hours in a row please dont wait ,,rush to the nearset emergency room especially in the elderly this amt of bleeding is very dangerous.Your blood preesure drops corresponding with blood loss. It could be an extremely life or death situation.
She needs to have an abdominal sonogram and bloodwork done immediately.  My 76 year old mother just started bleeding yesterday.  We are going to the GYN today.  
My 86 year old mother just came out of the hospital on Friday after being in for ten days due to a "mini-stroke" (TIA).  It was the fifth one she has had since suffering a major stroke in 2007.  Tonight she started bleeding; not heavy but enough to saturate her Depends underwear. I have noticed some very light spotting in the past, but only about once a month.  The cause of this is puzzling me.  I guess the doctor needs to be seen.  Any advice?