INFO-MANIACS User Group
"How to NOT get Censored and Banned"
About This Group:

Science-based medicine, studies, articles. I follow MedHelps rules about personal groups: Founders can choose to ban members from their Group or prohibit discussions on certain topics in their own Group. I can't imagine others joining this but I'm starting it for my own edification and may refer people to read certain topics. Sorry about the flower icon. I had to chose one. (grin)

Founded by cave76 on May 15, 2013
2 members

"How to NOT get Censored and Banned"

http://www.medhelp.org/user_journals/show/107520/How-to-NOT-get-Censored-and-Banned

Since this is a post ON MedHelp and I'm posting ON MedHelp as a card-carrying member I assume this link is 'legal'.

A very interesting pro and con among members about what is allowed, what is deleted, who is banned, who isn't (and theories about who isn't) and what other inequities are extant in almost every forum----- not just MedHelp.

Very interesting and thought-provoking to say the least.
One viewpoint:

"I think that is a time when we had REAL freedom of speech, and now the internet "chat" such as these forums, has completely reversed it all.

You say that one thing to keep in mind is the TOS.  I read that completely before I joined ( I know most ppl don't).  I understood the rules, and yet there is still unnecessary censorship, and others allowed to still 'flame."  

To me, this seems to a reaction to seniority of participants.  The longer you have been participating in Medhelp, the more relaxed the rules are, if you are new or do not post often, you are more subject to censorship."
Another view point---- by a Community Leader in 2009:

"What people tend to forget is that these boards are not America, and the free speech concept doesn't apply.

Generally a forum or board has a "purpose" and anything that is outside of that purpose is fair game for deletion."
The same CL as above and an excerpt from the OP that started the hullabaloo.

"I've noticed a number of issues on a few of the boards that have caused threads and comments to be deleted, which leads occassionally to users being banned.

So I thought I'd take a brief moment to give some advice to users on how to avoid getting caught up in one of these situations;

Any time a hot topic comes up that you feel strongly about, you have to ask yourself the following question;

"Do I want my voice to be heard and my words to be considered, or do I want to vent my anger on the issue at hand?"

Because many of us on here have valid viewpoints, and what we have to say matters.

But when you clutter your message up with personal feelings and negative emotions, it taints that message and the end result is you will not be heard.

First, because an angry message, especially directed at another user, will ensure that that user will NOT listen to what you have to say. It only ensures that you will put them on the defensive which means they have closed their mind to the possibility of your viewpoint.

Second, because the post will get deleted and not seen by ANYBODY. Which means you may as well have not bothered voicing your opinion."

Well, I think that s/he has something there except for the issue of 'seniority' and how many 'friends' the poster has. Those will NOT get deleted and more Little Miss Echo's will appear. (We're back to Group Think or co-dependent/enabler personalities)

In Utopia people will abhor angry messages that pass the boundary of civilized disagreement. Not so everywhere else.

cave76 commented on  "Chronic Lyme P...
Apr 03
"Chronic Lyme Patients Suffer...
Apr 03 by cave76
Why recommending a doctor can be tr...
Mar 29 by cave76