Ideas for economical living . User Group
TURN BACK TO OLD WAYS
About This Group:

We are all in a tough time in America so it seems a good idea to share tips, ideas, for economical living, how do we afford new 'stuff' and where can we get good 'used stuff '..be interested in any ideas to cope .what may be a long haul.When the going gets tough the tough get going '

Founded by margypops on October 22, 2009
70 members

TURN BACK TO OLD WAYS

Since we are now faced with some of the inventions and conveinences that really messed up some things.
Do you think we should go back to some of the old ways of doing things?
25%
 (1) 
We should continue to produce plastic products.
25%
 (1) 
We should band plastic products.
50%
 (2) 
We should all have a farm with fresh produce,eggs and milk.
0%
 (0) 
We should keep moving in toxic products.
4 Members voted
I don't know about doing away with plastic, but we could use it a lot less. I really like glass but with kids it is not always conceivable.
Plastic is really useful.
But that's just because we have got so used to plastic we can't think outside the box any more.
Even only about 40 years ago things weren't packaged in plastics. And our grandparents didn't use plastics. Things weren't packed for kids in plastic. There were no plastic bags. Anything we bought was packed in paper bags, or newspapers (in the case of meat or fish) Waxed paper, or Greaseproof paper was used a lot. Food was stored in dishes or on covered plates in the refrigerator. There were no 'TV' dinners or ready meals. People used to bring home their veggies in paper bags, or loose, in shopping baskets.
When I went to school (1950's-60's) I had a little leather bag which carried my lunch; an apple or pear, and sandwiches wrapped in greaseproof paper.

The thing is, with wrappings and plastics.....people generally don't want to go back to the old ways. They find the new ways more convenient and don't want to have to think outside the box. That's why change with such things is going to be very hard.
By the way....an additional thing....
Plastics are known to contain estrogen-mimicking chemicals, apart from other carcinogens. It makes me wonder......
Yup I use some but I dont like it its sometimes laziness and brain fog on my part....I like glass and china but I would find it hard to do without some of the mod cons...hummm maybe I could get used to it, knowing everyone was healthier .
I know that plastic won't go away but we need to try and not heat food in it in the microwave.  Transfer the food to a proper plate or bowl before reheating.  
I still have to get to it..when I move putting a flter on the tap so I can stop buying designer' water in bottles  do you guys have filters on your taps or buy the water .
I really like this thread from Crotcheta as I am sure that going back to some of our old ways saves us money , my electirc bill has doubled the last 2 months , so I am cutting back on the appliances I keep plugged in, as apparently even just plugged into  the power  unit,goes through and we get charged for it,its amazing how many we keep plugged in, count them .....
honey156 commented on photo
Sep 30
honey156 commented on photo
Sep 30
honey156 commented on photo
Sep 30