Ideas for economical living . User Group
Vits & Supplements
About This Group:

We are all in a tough time in America so it seems a good idea to share tips, ideas, for economical living, how do we afford new 'stuff' and where can we get good 'used stuff '..be interested in any ideas to cope .what may be a long haul.When the going gets tough the tough get going '

Founded by margypops on October 22, 2009
70 members

Vits & Supplements

What economical means is there of getting those extra Vits and supplements we need, I know we should eat several servings of veg and drink water ,and eat protein, however we still seem to be deficient in certain nutrients. Is there a better way than running every week to the local health food store spending the earth.One time I found I was swallowing so many supplements it was riduculous,.what do you guys take and whats the most thrifty way of buying them.
There are some really good multi-vitamins out there that include a lot of the minerals.  Read the labels and you should find one that covers most of your needs.  In most cases you just need to add extra calcium, vitamin D and vitamin C in my experience.  
I just had a lot of extra blood work done and all my minerals and vit levels are mid range or higher,,I dont supplement..when I do I notice my urine is bright yellow , thats all the water soluable vitamins and minerals being flushed down the drain as your body excreats what it does not need.
I get mine at Trader Joes.  High Quality good prices.  I get a great chewable adult muli there.
I just go for a complete A to Z multivitamin and mineral capsule, and take one every day. I know I live in England, and we have different stores here, but any supermarket sells them at usually pretty cheap prices. (They cost WAY more from a health store or Boots, or anywhere like that!)

I do eat pretty well, 5-a-day veg. and fruit, oily fish, pulses, eggs, etc....but I don't often eat meat, and noticed I don't get as many essential nutrients as I should. Plus I don't do dairy, with the exception of butter. So although I sometimes get yellow pee as well (meaning I'm flushing away some vitamin B) -I think the supplement is generally a good idea. And I do feel better for taking it.
I am trying to learn better ways of getting that nutrition from foods.  It is so expensive at Health food stores.  Margy, I have been looking online for deals, but there is that risk as to the quality ...so if others have experience with sites out there that are more affordable for supplements, please share :-)))

I started eating more protein...but then too, have to watch the intake.  So much to learn.  
I've found it's way cheaper for me (in UK anyway) to buy Glucosamine and Chondroitin supplement I and doggy always use -from ebay. I always buy from the same person, I can trust their stuff.
For instance, for 30 capsules at the Health store, or even supermarket, I could pay between £4-£8. But I get 90 capsules for £4.99 from the ebay store. They are good and OK.
People who sell on ebay have a reputation to uphold, won't rip you off, and won't sell bad stuff. Choose someone who has excellent feedback, and preferably has been doing it some time.
A couple of friends told me about some online resources for buying vitamins.  I use those, plus Trader Joe's and the discount vitamin store.  It depends on which place has the best deal for the supplements I'm using.  I definitely have to supplement.  One online place I've used many times and have had great experience.  It doesn't cost extra to send something back if one finds out it isn't the right product for one's needs.  The other one still costs extra to send something back to them.
you have to be careful. A lot of the vitamins are coming in from China. I was getting mine from vitacost but I called and asked sure enough... so i dropped them.

So now I only buy from Life Extension. They are very expensive, but nothing is from China.  The only thing from China is their White Tea of course.
I found that the Swanson vitamin site is reputable.  They're the company I've been getting my vitamin D from.  It's been keeping my vitamin D levels where they're supposed to be.  I like them far better than Vitacost, too, as their return policy is a lot easier to deal with.  They seem to be on top of their game when it comes to quality control, too.
I have also been made sick by Vits I find whatever I take seems to make me feel unwell, I am trying to take a multi now from my local heath food store, I used to try to take a whole bunch of them, its hard to find good ones the only way is to google toe companies, I took Coral Calcium for about 2 years ,I thought it was doing me good until I strted to get chronic heart burn, I stopped it to see and the heart burn disappeared ...
The vitamin D from vitacost kept my level fine, but if the vitamins are from china, there could be impurities in them. Just to play it safe I would ask Swanson if they deal with China at all.

margy, my mother has to be careful with vitamins too, she gets stomach aches sometimes from certain vitamins. google ruby reds - its a powdered fruit supplement type stuff. Has alot of good stuff in it - read the label on line. It actually tastes good too. Mix it in juice and even though I take a lot of other supplements being my immune system uses it up, you could probably get away with just doing the ruby reds..
I missed this one it must have shot down, and this group isnt a very bust one in fact who wants to economise Not me ...LOL well I have felt really good since I stared managing to keep down a good multi vit thing is they are as big as horse pills I have to cut them up in bits so I am going to try some liquid supplement ..
lol your right who wants to economize...

I can't swallow solid pills immediately. Capsules are fine but solid pills, I hesitate, then I feel okay, now I am going to swallow and then I dont and this goes on and on until the pill starts melting in my mouth. The hesitation reminds me of standing on a high diving board and you get ready to dive and you keep hesitating. Feels exactly the same to me, that fear you are not going to be able to do it.

yeah try the liquid or look into Ruby Reds and check out the ingrediants cause at least you will be getting something then and it might not upset your stomach either.
I usually get mine from Costco -- where you can get large bottles.  If I have to take it every day, I figure I might as well buy it in bulk.  My doctor recommended it.   However, I should check and see if it is made in China.  I didn't realize that was an issue.  Thanks for mentioning it.

Jean
have you noticed the prices are rocketing in the regular drug stores they are sooo expensive ,gosh have we all got to shop Walmart now ...well maybe we do ...
margypops commented on Shannon79's status
margypops commented on Scared now...Not sure...
margypops TGIF Comment