Ideas for economical living . User Group
Ways To Save Money
About This Group:

We are all in a tough time in America so it seems a good idea to share tips, ideas, for economical living, how do we afford new 'stuff' and where can we get good 'used stuff '..be interested in any ideas to cope .what may be a long haul.When the going gets tough the tough get going '

Founded by margypops on October 22, 2009
70 members

Ways To Save Money

Well I figured I would share some things here. I dont know why this site is so slow. Y'all must have oodles of money or something. :) Ok,
Laundry-- Dont use fabric softener (or use 1/2 cup of vinegar if you want)
               Line dry-sun kills bacteria and clothes smell so nice
Get rid of carpets and instead of a vacuum, use a broom.
Carpool
Bake things instead of purchasing pre-made (you will eat less because there wont be as much garbage, because
         everything you want you will have to make first.
For cleanig use-vinegar, dish soap, baking soda, and bleach (not mixed together), and scrubbies.
Pre-plan your weeks meals before shopping.
Only eat out once a week.
Skip the movies and go for an outdoor adventure--its free and good exercise and better for your mind.
Hmmm, I know theres a lot more, I just cant think right now....
Some good ideas there bbxx it takes some doing when one has been spoiled, but its good to learn how again being thrifty didnt hurt anyone ...I think its slow because folks are just lazy LOL
Yep.  These are things I already do myself.  I rarely eat baked goods at all, though, because of the gluten issues.  I'm fine with it, though, really.  I'm not all that into baked goods, so it's not a problem for me.  Nevertheless, it's still a great idea to do it oneself.  I actually would do it some if it weren't for the high cost of the gluten free flour options.  No problem, though, since I actually am satisfied enough without the stuff.

It's all stuff our grandparents and great grandparents did.  They had to survive hard times with the Depression, and we're really heading into such a climate.

I never use the bleach myself, though, because it's too harsh all around for the chemical sensitivities.  So, that's actually something one can do without.  I have for years.  One added bonus?  No bleach stains on clothes that have to end up tossed out or get relagated to knocking about the house and house cleaning days.  No more accidentally ruining clothes due to bleach spills.  Care2.com has some natural tips for whitening clothes without the use of bleach, if you're interested.  I don't wear a lot of white to begin with, so not a big issue for me, but their tips do involve line drying, too.  It's worth looking into if that's your concern for bleach use.  The majority of their tips for natural cleaning involve what you already know, since you mentioned the main ingredients used.  

I definitely love the vinegar on glass, too.  I will do the sliding glass doors with the outdoor glass cleaning tip once the rainy season subsides long enough to make it worth my while--if the housing authority doesn't hire a company to do this for people.  I hope they do, too, because the outside portion of the other glass is inaccessible otherwise.  

Line drying isn't an option where I live.  But, I hang up the lighter weight stuff in the bathroom to dry when the weather is drier.  There is a moisture problem in the apartment, so I wouldn't want to try this any other time of the year anyway, like some can even in the wet season.  This would only add to the frustration of the moisture and mildew issues.  Vinegar does kill the black mold/mildew, though.  It just doesn't remove some of the stains on the paint once they're visible.  Oh, well.  At least it kills the mold.  And, at least most of the mold is in tucked away places for the most part.  And, at least in the summer most of the clothes worn are the lighter weight clothes that can be hung up to air dry in the bathroom when necessary.
Oh crumbs I am not going to do line drying .. but I have tried vinegar and it works well, we dont eat out anymore ,so I wont miss that I have just been reading up about planting a garden ,a veg one, now that may be a fun thing ,my mom would grow some tomatoes and peas it was lovely to eat stuff from your own garden .
I would love to see some things they did during the depression. How they got by. People that were seriously poor. It would be really educational. Margypops you made me laugh when you said you are not doing line drying. lol I love the smell of clothes dried on the line. I just got a clothes rack so I can line dry in the house on rainy days and in the winter. It saves a lot on the electrical bill.
Yes I bet it does smell good , if you like line drying...lol I have a gas drier and it isnt very expensive mind you I do know that our gas and electric is rocketing up, not what we use its the huge taxes this government is putting on us .and all our bills ...
margypops Merry Christmas and a Happy... Comment
ginger899 Wishing everyone a HAPPY CH... Comment
Dec 23
margypops commented on margypops's status
Dec 01