Ideas for economical living . User Group
random tips
About This Group:

We are all in a tough time in America so it seems a good idea to share tips, ideas, for economical living, how do we afford new 'stuff' and where can we get good 'used stuff '..be interested in any ideas to cope .what may be a long haul.When the going gets tough the tough get going '

Founded by margypops on October 22, 2009
70 members

random tips

Most clothing comes out just as clean when washed in cold water as it does in warm or hot.

Keep your thermostate at 65 degrees not only will you get sick less, your heat bills will drop tremendously, and it sounds cold but your body adapts.

Have a meatless dinner 3 x per week..whats wrong w spagetti and no meat just tomato sauce,,nothing except its about 60% cheaper.

We do that a lot. I often make spaghetti with just marinara sauce. I like it better that way, actually!
The dh loves spaghetti, and I just throw in any leftovers veg , onions , broccoli I do use a lot of spices, they add the flavor we like... You know I wash in cold because it doesnt run the colors, so not being a good housewife ,I bung them all in together ..I know.... my daughter gets on my case.........
I use Arm & Hammer liquid washing detergent. Just half the specified dose for 1 batch and a teaspoon of baking soda for the rinse. I just love the fresh smell of my clothes. I have a frontload washer and dry without dryer sheets. Fresh as Spring! I use warm water for all my clothes except the whites, I use hot water and Cheer liquid for these clothes.
What they say about a frontload washer is true. Your clothes is cleaner and won't wear like in the standard washer. Your permapress clothes look like you pressed them. I don't know about you, but that helps me. That is the best set I have ever had. It's not that expensive set either, both are Frigidare.
1 cup White Vinegar in the rinse cycle of your whites and towels will take all the residue out and leave them whiter/fluffier.  It also takes the little boy smell out of kids clothes.
I use white vinegar for other things, like windows, and floors. This helps bring the shine back in your floors for sure.

I'll have to try the vinegar in the whites.

The little boy smell???? Try workout big boy smell!!! YUCK!

I hold my breath when loading these clothes. LOL
So guys what would you say for someone that breaks out in hives at the drop of a hat, I use 'free and Clear ' but still everything itches , round my neck, yup I have tried most things ..is there a better detergent than the regular sun and tide free and clear .
I just bought a book about cleaning your home using only lemons and lemon juice, baking soda, vinegar, and water.  Nothing else.

I'll see if I can write out some of the uses.
well I know I can take vinegar in fact I should have put that here as a tip apple cider vinegar does soothe the itchiness of hives, doesnt make it go away but if I dab them in the morning it helpsI also herad that it helps if you have acid reflux ....but I still have to clean the clothes ..allas........
Put a cup of white vinegar in the rinse cycle.  The acid helps take out the soap residue that may be causing your itchiness.  This may fall under too much info but I have to do this with my socks and underwear or I'll be sorry all day long.  

Vinegar is also great for a Sunburn.  You can apply directly to the sun burn with a cloth or cotton ball or you can add it to a cool bath.  If adding in to the bath try a few tea bags too.  The tea helps sooth the skin.
Trying this in the rinse cycle (per the book I am reading).

juice of 4 lemons (save peels for other uses)
2 cups water
1 tsp baking soda

Mix juice and water in a good size container, then add baking soda (it will fizz a lot!).  Pour into rinse cycle and rinse as usual.

I think this tip is nice, but I can't see using 4 lemons every time you need to do a wash.  

You can use a cup of lemon juice instead of Vinegar in the rinse cycle but as Peek says squeezing fresh lemons every wash would be a pain and bottled lemon juice would be expensive.  
You can then (if you are in the mood to clean the tub), sprinkle baking soda generously in the bath tub, and use the lemon rinds (from the wash tip above) to scrub out the tub with.

Then you need to rest and relax, b/c you've cleaned WAY more than you should.  
The verdict of the fabric softener solution:  Not very effective.  I won't be throwing out my fabric softner sheets.

However, I took the rinds and used to clean the shower floor (as above), and it worked fantastically.  
You're probably allergic to sulfites.  The one I heard was good for that is All Free and Clear.  Make sure you put the clothes through a second rinse cycle.  This is what a trusted source told me who has the same problem.  I have yet to try this brand, but it would be worth a shot.  I'm having problems with hives on my back for some reason and the only thing I can think of is that my laundry powder must have sulfites in it or something.  I AM allergic to sulfites, so I'm going to make the change as soon as possible myself and see what happens.  I sure wish I didn't have an almost full box of the stuff I've been using that I'm probably going to have to get rid of.  I'll be sure to give it to a good friend who I know can use all the help she can get in these small ways after I buy the replacement product and try it out to see if it solves the problem.

Peekawho, I've used the vinegar for my clothes and loved it.  But, I've also gone without fabric sheets for years because I'm allergic to everything under the sun.  

Everyone who uses dryer sheets or has used them in the past:  Be sure to clean the lint traps in your dryers.  I don't mean just removing the lint, since that's obvious.  And, not just vacuuming the ventilation.  Wash and scrub the lint traps themselves thoroughly, because the dryer sheets use a petroleum based wax and that will build up on the screens.  A long time ago a friend of mine forwarded an article about this.  It should be done, because they were talking about dryers catching fire, because of the build up.  No one needs that in these hard economical times--or any other time for that matter.  It's extra work, but it's better safe than sorry.  So, be sure to wash and scrub these well to get that invisible film off the lint traps.
I just had my drier serviced and the technician told me to clean out the fluff thing better I usually take the fluff out but he said clean it off more ..i don't use any conditioner at all. due to allergies ..the lemon and vinegar work a treat ..
I have heard of vinegar, but lemon? I would LOVE the smell, but my question is, does it attract ants? I dont have ants in my house and I don t want them. Can anyone say?
If you use pure lemon juice, it is an acid.  Most insects can't stand citrus either.  Anyway, it works the same way.  Since you add it to the wash like you do with liquid fabric softeners, it all washes down the drain.  You shouldn't have ants from it.
   I do know lemon juice whitens ones hands ...hey I am still going to have an ant problem this years.I have got some Borax to try ..any other ideas .
Another non-toxic remedy that also works for fleas is diatomaceous earth, which you can buy at a nursery.  Just follow the instructions.  Don't apply in places you can't keep pets away from for the allotted time.  It is often worked into the carpeting and allowed to sit for a couple of hours before vacuuming.  During this time, you have to keep your pets away from the carpeting.  This is for fleas.  The box I have says it is great for most insects, so it should really help you out with carpenter ants--especially if you can find their nest.
these are those small sugar ants..I had a lot last year I have called some companies but they use toxic stuff ..
It should still work on the little sugar ants.  Nurseries sell it, because it's great for your plants, too.  It should help if you find the nest.  Diatomaceous earth is helpful because it desocates their little bodies.  It is made of little diatoms that come out of the ocean.  Applied in the recommended places, it should stop the little ants.  
I will check out the stores to see if they have it and any nurseries around thanks for the tip
Thank you for explaining the lemon juice. (sorry to take so long to respond. I seem to keep forgetting to check here) lol

Margy heres a link on some ideas from pepper to vinegar to borax for ridding sugar ants. I have no idea if they work or not.
http://www.ehow.com/way_5831289_natural-remedy-rid-sugar-ants.html
Another thing to be aware of is the clothing you purchase. Some clothes have teflon on them (waterproofing, stain free) etc.. Lots of our clothing has so many chemicals in them by the time they get to the store to be sold. I read that some yarn even is being sold as guaranteed moth proof. Well the article said it was moth proof because it was boiled in pestacides. I dont know what is true and what isnt, but if I were rich I would shop for organic cotton clothing. I am not rich though, so I avoid anything promising no stains, etc...
Dont forget your soap too can cause hives if you are allergic to it.
thanks for the tips ..I don't use any soaps and only free and clear detergent..I get dermographism at times so I check out what I use..I have learnt to accept most of it I went months this year then they have broken out again ...I just live with it .I will put in that link for the solution for ants other wise I will have to get someone in as I see the ants are already on the outside of the house .
Awesome information about clothes shopping, and right on the money.  You know those kitchen sponges that say they're antibacterial?  It's essentially the same issue as with the clothes.  Those are sponges saturated with Triclosan, a known carcinogen.  I don't use sponges at all anyway, but this is important information for people who do.

Kitchen cotton cloths is all my mother and grandmother used and all I use, too.  They work fine for ordinary kitchen cleaning.  For tougher stuff, Bon Ami and Dr. Bronner's mixed as a paste works great--works great for cleaning your bath tub, too.  The cool thing about ordinary kitchen cotton is that they last a long time and are completely washable with your laundry.  You just make sure you air dry them before tossing them into the laundry pile.

Margypops:  Here is a laundry tip you'll love.  I have the same sensitive skin issue.  I've heard that using nothing but a small box of baking soda is enough to wash your clothes.  It sounds like it's worth trying for ordinarily soiled laundry, which is what most of us deal with the majority of the time.  To save money:  Buy the largest quantity of baking soda you can buy and measure out about 1 cup per wash load.  I know you can buy it at pool supply places in bulk.  If not, the larger boxes of Arm and Hammer will still work.  You can also mix and match with borax or soap flakes.
hey funnily enough I get some in to sprinkle on the ants so now I will also wash clothes in it, I will be washing tomorrow, I will try the baking soda tip..
breezytoo commented on A dog's love
Apr 13
margypops ...... Comment
Mar 23
Rescue Colonel the Dog (Petition) Blank
Mar 06 by ginger899