Immunization & Vaccine Community
20 year old male

This patient support community is for discussions relating to immunizations and vaccines for children and adults, adverse effects, anthrax, cervical cancer, chicken pox, DPT, diphtheria, flu, haemophilus influenza, hepatitis, HPV, measles, meningococcal vaccine, MMR, mumps, passive immunizations, pertussis, pneumonia, polio, rotavirus, rubella, shingles, small pox, tetanus, travel immunizations, whooping cough, and yellow fever.

20 year old male

Going for a well-check next Monday.  Would like to get up to date on all immunizations necessary.  What should I have had by now/need every few years and may need again?
If you were born in America you would have had the vaccines necessary in order to go to school and I believe they last as I never remember having to get anything for the 2nd time.

Other than that I can't think of anything except I believe that now in high school they have you get a Hepatitus (hepatitis) B shot (?) Which you probably had one? If so, I guess I would ask the doctor to check that - to see if you are still immune ( antibodies).

Sorry that is all I can think of. Maybe someone else will come along and give you info..

Oh also if you are planning on going to Africa or somewhere I would imagine you would need vaccines of some sort - malaria or whatever (?) But for that your doc would know or making an appointment with a "Travel Medicine" doctor, which would be under Infectious Disease Md.
This may be a tad late since your well-check was scheduled for Jan 10.  As 'MyOwn' has stated, if you are here in the U.S. and age 20 you should have already received your routine vaccinations: 2 MMR, 3 Hepatitis B, 4 Polio, 1 Meningitis, and completed the series of 3 Tetanus/Diptheria/Pertussis vaccinations and have had a Td/Tdap booster within the last 10 years.  The Meningitis vaccination is especially important for students entering college. The Hepatitis A vaccination is a new vaccine now included in the childhood schedule and it's a good vaccine to get if you haven't had it already. If you haven't had a Tetanus booster within the past 5 years, the new Tdap vaccination is now advised. It is a one time substitute booster for Tetanus/Diptheria that also includes the Pertusssis vaccine. The flu vaccine is also advised for anyone wanting to be protected from the flu. The HPV vaccine, originally approved for girls/women 9-26 years is now approved and recomended for males 9-26 which protects against most strains of cervical cancer but also genital warts and anal cancer. It's a series of 3 shots. Finally if you haven't had chicken pox or the vaccine, you would want to get the Varicella vaccination, a series of 2 shots. Once you have received the 'routine' vaccinations mentioned, the flu vaccine annually and a tetanus/diptheria booster every ten years is all you need to keep in mind. Overseas travel would involve other vaccinations depending on your destination(s).
That post of yours covered it all.:) You sound like a doctor or health care Professional.

I didn't know that they did approve the HPV vaccine for boys. I wasn't sure. That one is quite scary by what I read. I hope that one gets taken off the market to tell you the truth.

I've read some sad stories about the side effects that one has caused. As a matter of fact a lady posted on here about her daughter..

But anyhow, good post. I hope the fellow comes back and reads what you wrote..

Take care..