Immunization & Vaccine Community
Any side effects with use of Acyclovir (and Atarax) for Chicken Pox?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to immunizations and vaccines for children and adults, adverse effects, anthrax, cervical cancer, chicken pox, DPT, diphtheria, flu, haemophilus influenza, hepatitis, HPV, measles, meningococcal vaccine, MMR, mumps, passive immunizations, pertussis, pneumonia, polio, rotavirus, rubella, shingles, small pox, tetanus, travel immunizations, whooping cough, and yellow fever.

My husband (44) contracted Chicken Pox a few days ago (although the doctors are still not completely sure that it is chicken pox until another 2 or 3 days when the more specific biopsy results come back).  It is really severe.  His entire body is completely covered (and it came on rapidly).  He was in severe pain as well as itching (although the itching seems to have subsided a bit).  It is definitely not shingles because he never had chicken pox before and shingles was outruled.  The doctor prescribed Acyclovir (for the virus) and Atarax (for the itching).  I have done a lot of research on the two drugs to find out side effects, dangers and possible long term effects of the drugs.  However, most results that come up are from medical websites.  I want to know if anyone out there had any side effects (minor or major) as a result of taking these two drugs.  It's really scary, because reading some of the biological explanations of Acyclovir indicate that it is a DNA mutagen and we are not quite clear if it means it is mutates his own DNA or if it mutates the viral DNA, or what that means long term.  Any help?

Thanks.
I know this is out of date, but just wanted to explain what happened to me while using Acyclovir and valcyclovir. I was put on one first, then the other. Sorry, but I don't know which one I was on when, what felt like someone hit me with a hammer from the inside of my head, woke me from my nap. I was about 18 or 19. I was really quick to figure things out, had no problem explaining myself and talking really fast. After that moment, I've been running a lot slower when it comes to outward expression. It takes me a little longer to thing through a problem, but I can do it. I'm poor, then and now, and haven't been able to afford the EEG my doctor recommended to find out what might be wrong.