Immunization & Vaccine Community
Chicken pox IgG and IgM postive results
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to immunizations and vaccines for children and adults, adverse effects, anthrax, cervical cancer, chicken pox, DPT, diphtheria, flu, haemophilus influenza, hepatitis, HPV, measles, meningococcal vaccine, MMR, mumps, passive immunizations, pertussis, pneumonia, polio, rotavirus, rubella, shingles, small pox, tetanus, travel immunizations, whooping cough, and yellow fever.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Chicken pox IgG and IgM postive results

I don't understand how a person can have positive IgG 3.08 and positive IgM 2.05.  I am told by our ID doc that my patient is currently has chicken pox.  I thought IgM indicates current disease and IgG past disease (antibodies).  Why would IgG be produced by the body so early?
351246_tn?1379685732
Hi!

You are right, IgM antibodies arise due to a current disease and IgG due to a past disease. The IgG that the patient shows now is not due to the chicken pox infection he has now. It is due to some past exposure to chicken pox virus. It may have been a very mild rash and fever, or in form of herpes type lesions, or shingles.  It could just have been a silent exposure with no overt disease. Hope this helps. Take care!
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Immunization & Vaccine Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
How to Silence Your Inner Critic an...