Immunization & Vaccine Community
Child immunization and Vaccine Reactions

This patient support community is for discussions relating to immunizations and vaccines for children and adults, adverse effects, anthrax, cervical cancer, chicken pox, DPT, diphtheria, flu, haemophilus influenza, hepatitis, HPV, measles, meningococcal vaccine, MMR, mumps, passive immunizations, pertussis, pneumonia, polio, rotavirus, rubella, shingles, small pox, tetanus, travel immunizations, whooping cough, and yellow fever.

My grandson is 12 months old.  Since he was born at every shot time he gets sick.  The doctor(s) won't listen we have family history of issues - the little baby has had reactions from high temp, vomiting, swollen legs.  Once he had blisters in his throat!  The last shot he was sick for 10 days, 3 visits to the dr and 2 er visits and they would only say it is the flu and we have to run the course.  Enough was enough and we went to a Childrens Hospital.  It was an hour away and by the time we got there the baby had a 105 temp and after tests, and xray he was diagnosed with a lung infection.  Put on an iv antibiotic and fever meds his temp broke and baby is sooooo much better.  We are close not to getting yet another shot, but are afraid that the baby will get sick again.  The pediatrician is in denile about the shots causing the sickness.  But the only time baby has been sick is on the same day within hours of having his shot.  We live in California so it is mandatory to get shots or child won't be able to attend public school.  If anyone can help - PLEASE do.  Thank you.  Concerned Grandma.
HI,
I am a grandma and I live in California, as well. Actually California is one of the states where immunizations are NOT mandatory.  You can use a personal or religous belief not have your child immunized. I have had 3 children and they all got their immunizations, however, there were only the Polio, and DPT at one time.  Now they give a baby too many at one time and that is what the problem is.  You have the right to selective immunizations which means you can alter the schedule or give them 1 at a time or whatever you wish. My daughter is picking and choosing, we live in San Luis Obispo County and she has a MD who allows her to do that.   So far she has only got the HIB shot.  She refused the Hep B shot, why would you inject an infant with that when they do not need it.  She is now next month going to give the baby the DPAT, we are scared but we think it is important and she is pregnant now and with the new baby coming there would be more a risk of pertussis to the new baby and also to my grandaughter. There are a lot cases lately of pertussis and it is nasty.  It sounds like you live in Southern California. There are alot of MD's there, so if your pediatrician does not believe what you are saying then change. You are in charge of your children and grandchildren. They are not. Some MD's get kick backs from the Pharmaceutical Companies as well.  Also, I do not know if this pertains. If your grandaughter is on any California Medical Insurance, like Medi-cal it is mandatory they get the vaccinations, as it is a state run organization, but if she is on private, it is totally your choice, not theirs and it sounds like your grandson has a very serious problem with vaccines.  I hope some of the info helps.  Feel free to contact me if you wish and Good luck. I know how you feel, it is scary when a baby gets 30 shots in their first year of life.  It is too much for their immune systems. There are lots of websites and books with great information.  I am not against immunizations, I am against some of the live ones and how many they give at one time.  There important ones like the HIB, DPAT  but their is alot of controversy lately on immunizations and people are very selective.  Change Pediatricians, do your homework and remember you have the choice, not them.
Sorry, I kept calling your grandson a girl.  Used to doing that.
Read the next post on Jenny McCarthy's book and autism.  She too is not against immunizations, just how many they give.  You need to be selective.  
Also, consult Dr. Sears new book (the Vaccine Book). It has an alternative schedule for selective or delayed vax. We are doing sel/del. It is the parents choice....not the doctors. Side effects of vaxing are well documented. If there is such a strong history I would stop with the vaxs. At almost a year they are pretty well "vaxed up" if it's been done on schedule. Hep A was just added to the under 2y schedule, and you have to look at your risks for the others (MMR, etc.). Dr. Sears also has recommedations on how to boost the child's immune system if you do decide to get more shots.