Immunization & Vaccine Community
Deltoid and shoulder pain after shingles vaccine

This patient support community is for discussions relating to immunizations and vaccines for children and adults, adverse effects, anthrax, cervical cancer, chicken pox, DPT, diphtheria, flu, haemophilus influenza, hepatitis, HPV, measles, meningococcal vaccine, MMR, mumps, passive immunizations, pertussis, pneumonia, polio, rotavirus, rubella, shingles, small pox, tetanus, travel immunizations, whooping cough, and yellow fever.

I am a 60 year old woman who just had a physical and was advised by my physician to get the shingles vaccine. I am in good health and work out at the gym at least 5 times a week. I had no problems until after this injection. I questioned how high the injection site was (I am a nurse) but it was too late. I felt the normal bit of discomfort after the injection but that discomfort has now escalated to dull pain at rest and extreme pain during any type of lifting, particularly over my head, and noticeably uncomfortable while performing a task such as driving. I have tried to keep up with my workouts at the gym but it has just become too painful. I take Advil daily and often with no real relief. I tried to get an appointment to see my doctor and cannot see her until October! I received the injection on the 18th of April. Other stats are that I am 5'6" and weigh 121 pounds. I am only allergic to PCN. Will this pain eventually subside or am I risking it getting worse by not tending to it? Please advise. Thank you for your time.
I hope you get some helpful advice. By the way, some doctors advise vitamin D over the shingles vaccine.
Hi!
Some pain and bruising is expected at the injection site and usually settles down in a day or two. Sometimes the pain can be due to a nerve or muscle injury. Please stop all workouts where you use the arm with the injection site. Give rest to the arm. Use a pain killer. Some cold compress may also help, though it has been some time. Please see your doctor as soon as you can or get it checked somewhere. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
I also had the shingles vaccine about 6 weeks ago because I have had shingles no never wanted that experience again. I am 60 years old. I got a three inch long lump after the shot then a week later my upper arm and shoulder is painful and it is very painful or raise my arm out to my side. I sure hope this pain goes away soon.