Immunization & Vaccine Community
Do I need a tetanus booster?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to immunizations and vaccines for children and adults, adverse effects, anthrax, cervical cancer, chicken pox, DPT, diphtheria, flu, haemophilus influenza, hepatitis, HPV, measles, meningococcal vaccine, MMR, mumps, passive immunizations, pertussis, pneumonia, polio, rotavirus, rubella, shingles, small pox, tetanus, travel immunizations, whooping cough, and yellow fever.

Do I need a tetanus booster?

Hi. I punctured my finger today on a rusty edge of the fridge in the kitchen. I immediately washed the wound with soap. I have completed the primary course of tetanus immunization as a child and was up to date with boosters until 15. Then I skipped immunization at 25 as I had acquired meanwhile an autoimmune disease (Sjogren's Syndrome), but when I was 27 I got scratched by a dog so I went to a doctor and they gave me a tetanus toxoid shot. I am 30 now. Do I need to get a jab again for this wound? I'm worried about immune hyperreaction. Plus I'm currently down with a cold.
the link between Tetanus and rust is practically a myth.

the bacteria that gives Tetanus lives on soil and often the objects that cause the transmission of tetanus are metallic and rusty because they've been outside in the rain.

Therefore the probabilities that there was Tetanus on your fridge are close to null.

By the way one of the best disinfectant for tetanus spores is Hydrogen peroxide because the bacteria can't survive in contact with oxygen.
I know about soil and manure, but doesn't it live also in other dirt? That edge was a bit dirty too, although it was not soil or manure. And what about my immunization status - may this shot I was given 3 years ago due to the dog scratch count as a booster even if 2 years behind schedule? I read that in the US, Australia, Canada, etc no shot for a wound is recommended if a booster was given less than 5 years before the wound. I live in Bulgaria and my doctor says that here a jab after a wound (which is tetanus toxoid) provides protection only for 6 months. I'm really confused about all this, but from what I've read it seems to me that I might be ok anyway. I would not want to risk any adverse reactions..
I don't know anything about that, maybe the shot given after a wound is different to the vaccine, which should last for a few years. the immune system reacts differently in each person any ways.

you're overly anxious, there are more chances you get struck by a lighting than getting tetanus from your fridge. what if you get struck by a lighting on the way to the clinic for the tetanus shot?
Well, I'm not sure if a shot given after a wound is different than a routine booster and that is why I'm asking..