Immunization & Vaccine Community
Fears of Vaccinations

This patient support community is for discussions relating to immunizations and vaccines for children and adults, adverse effects, anthrax, cervical cancer, chicken pox, DPT, diphtheria, flu, haemophilus influenza, hepatitis, HPV, measles, meningococcal vaccine, MMR, mumps, passive immunizations, pertussis, pneumonia, polio, rotavirus, rubella, shingles, small pox, tetanus, travel immunizations, whooping cough, and yellow fever.

Fears of Vaccinations

I was just wondering if any one could help me with a fear that all of my children seem to have. A fear of getting shots/needles. How do I help them get over this? What can they do to ease this fear?
If this helps, The "children" are 4 boys 4 girls
Boys: 24, 22, 21, 18,
Girls: 16, 14, 10, 6

Any advice?
Hi there Jenna ...

I feel for your children because I have an issue with needles myself! When I go to the dentist is the absolute worst!I have to take a valium and  then they STILL have to nearly have to 'gas' me into unconsciousness! For me it's pretty much just the dentist. Doctors/lab work doesn't really bother me fortunately. Regarding your 'kids' - I don't know that there is anything you can do to get them over their dislike of needles. Some people might suggest trying to distract them ... but personally, I think the more you try to MAKE them not notice something, the more they are going to notice that something. I imagine that age/maturity and self control is the only thing that is going to make a difference. Sorry, I wish I had a better answer for you. Take care ...
Hi there Jenna ...

and for their own protection make sure they get shots individually not multiples
I have my kids turn their head and talk in an animated way to distract them.  Not looking is key.  I actually like the multiple vaccine as it is less needle sticks and can be over with one stick rather than several.  I then follow up with something like a milkshake after as a reward.  My first born son can be quite dramatic but this approach of not making a big deal out of it and talking/playing a game really helps.  Most pedi nurses are super fast and can do the stick in an instant and it is over.  

I also have a fear of needles and really not watching is the key.  Shut eyes or look away--------  then the stick happens and it may sting for a second or two but then it stops and you wonder why you fear it so much.  It is just the anticipation of the needle I think.  goodluck