Fears of Vaccinations
I was just wondering if any one could help me with a fear that all of my children seem to have. A fear of getting shots/needles. How do I help them get over this? What can they do to ease this fear?
If this helps, The "children" are 4 boys 4 girls
Boys: 24, 22, 21, 18,
Girls: 16, 14, 10, 6

Any advice?
Hi there Jenna ...

I feel for your children because I have an issue with needles myself! When I go to the dentist is the absolute worst!I have to take a valium and  then they STILL have to nearly have to 'gas' me into unconsciousness! For me it's pretty much just the dentist. Doctors/lab work doesn't really bother me fortunately. Regarding your 'kids' - I don't know that there is anything you can do to get them over their dislike of needles. Some people might suggest trying to distract them ... but personally, I think the more you try to MAKE them not notice something, the more they are going to notice that something. I imagine that age/maturity and self control is the only thing that is going to make a difference. Sorry, I wish I had a better answer for you. Take care ...
and for their own protection make sure they get shots individually not multiples
I have my kids turn their head and talk in an animated way to distract them.  Not looking is key.  I actually like the multiple vaccine as it is less needle sticks and can be over with one stick rather than several.  I then follow up with something like a milkshake after as a reward.  My first born son can be quite dramatic but this approach of not making a big deal out of it and talking/playing a game really helps.  Most pedi nurses are super fast and can do the stick in an instant and it is over.  

I also have a fear of needles and really not watching is the key.  Shut eyes or look away--------  then the stick happens and it may sting for a second or two but then it stops and you wonder why you fear it so much.  It is just the anticipation of the needle I think.  goodluck