Immunization & Vaccine Community
H1N1 reaction

This patient support community is for discussions relating to immunizations and vaccines for children and adults, adverse effects, anthrax, cervical cancer, chicken pox, DPT, diphtheria, flu, haemophilus influenza, hepatitis, HPV, measles, meningococcal vaccine, MMR, mumps, passive immunizations, pertussis, pneumonia, polio, rotavirus, rubella, shingles, small pox, tetanus, travel immunizations, whooping cough, and yellow fever.

H1N1 reaction

I am a 46yo previously very healthy ER nurse in the USA  with hx of graves and possible Sjogrens. Had seasonal flu vaccine Oct1/09-7 days later had tingling in head and shoulders and lt arm went numb-adm to hosp for neg cardiac work-up. Had H1N1 Novartis vaccine Dec9/09-6 days later adm to hosp with tingling head,arms,legs and weak legs,extreme tiredness,dizziness and no appetite with no abn findings. Now,almost 6 mths later I continue to have episodes of same off and on,although not as intense. I have seen Int. med, neuro,hematology,inf. dx,cardiology,rheumatology with no diagnosis. Only neuro and inf dx doctors agree this is a vaccine reaction. Next week I'm seeing an MS specialist as brain MRI shows a single plaque suspicious for MS. Neuro says plaque could just be inflammation,virus or from vaccine. Interestingly my 44yo sister in Canada had same reaction 6 days after H1N1 vaccine. She has hx reynaud's and possible Sjogrens. I am able to work full time but struggle on some days. I never had anxiety prior to this illness, but am scared this will be permanent. I also have a hx of multiple vaccinations in 1990 due to being a healthcare worker and travel/work in mid east and remote Africa. Is there more incidence of reaction with hx autoimmune dx or with multiple vaccination?  
Hi Lorie - Sorry to hear that you have had an adverse reaction to the flu  shots. I would like to refer you to the forum title Tingling after Swine Flu vacc Chapter 2 which has over 800 entries from a community pf people who have had the same experiences. There are volumes of very interesting info from people and medical professionals from around the world.

I am also one of the people who had this reaction - had the same symptoms, and it has been a very scary time, especially when I was in the hospital - I thought I may die, which was very traumatizing and I am slowly working through the huge amount of stress and resentment and anger and sadness I had becasue of this shot. Things are better now, with a very slow but sustained improvement.

I experience anxiety as well as this thing waxes and wanes and relapses and reflares. I am 5 months post vacc.

It's amazing that you have been able to work - I can't imagine what you have had to deal with - this illness and a full time nursing schedule.

From what we understand we will all heal up but it could take 1 year (yes you read correctly (12 months) for a full recovery. There are many medical theories as to why some react to vaccs and others don't. Known reactions occur with tetnaus/flu alot.

It's a very yucky thing. Hang in there and check out the other forums - you can read for hours :)

Cathy