Immunization & Vaccine Community
I lost my spleen. What should I do now?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to immunizations and vaccines for children and adults, adverse effects, anthrax, cervical cancer, chicken pox, DPT, diphtheria, flu, haemophilus influenza, hepatitis, HPV, measles, meningococcal vaccine, MMR, mumps, passive immunizations, pertussis, pneumonia, polio, rotavirus, rubella, shingles, small pox, tetanus, travel immunizations, whooping cough, and yellow fever.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

I lost my spleen. What should I do now?

My spleen had to be removed due to massive ruptures which cost me a few pints of blood after an auto accident. Am I restricted forever from a normal lifestyle? I've already taken vaccines, but will the loss of my spleen make me weak for as long as I live? Please, someone help.
Related Discussions
I don't know whether your question has been answered as you posted it so long ago. Just to reassure you, I lost my spleen under similar circumstances in 1984, aged nineteen, and, apart from having to have a few more vaccines than most people (influenza, HIB every five years have had a full and productive life so far. I don't feel weak - I've run 10K on the treadmill this morning, despite still being a fairly heavy smoker. The only real restriction is that asplenics should avoid travelling to places where there is malaria, as, if contracted, it is exceptionally severe for people like us and potentially life-threatening. Otherwise, I hope you've recovered well and are enjoying life, just like anyone else!
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Immunization & Vaccine Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
How to Silence Your Inner Critic an...