Immunization & Vaccine Community
Lupus and vaccination

This patient support community is for discussions relating to immunizations and vaccines for children and adults, adverse effects, anthrax, cervical cancer, chicken pox, DPT, diphtheria, flu, haemophilus influenza, hepatitis, HPV, measles, meningococcal vaccine, MMR, mumps, passive immunizations, pertussis, pneumonia, polio, rotavirus, rubella, shingles, small pox, tetanus, travel immunizations, whooping cough, and yellow fever.

Lupus and vaccination

Hi, I have a good friend who has both systemic and dyscoid lupus. She wants to get the shingles vaccine and the bordetella vaccine. She wants to know if she would go out of remission if she took these vaccines?
mkh9
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there,
The shingles vaccine has live virus particles. It is usually not advisable for  patients taking larger doses of prednisone or immune-suppressing drugs to take the shingles vaccine while they are taking these medications.  But when off the medication, the shingles vaccine can be taken.Bordetella vaccine can also be taken. A person with lupus should be vaccinated before you use any biologic and before taking major immunosuppressant medications. I will advise you to make sure to ask your doctor first to make sure it is safe to get it. Also, those who are allergic to either neomycin or gelatin shouldn’t get it either.
Take care and regards!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there,
Take care and regards!