Immunization & Vaccine Community
MMR Immunization Inquiry

This patient support community is for discussions relating to immunizations and vaccines for children and adults, adverse effects, anthrax, cervical cancer, chicken pox, DPT, diphtheria, flu, haemophilus influenza, hepatitis, HPV, measles, meningococcal vaccine, MMR, mumps, passive immunizations, pertussis, pneumonia, polio, rotavirus, rubella, shingles, small pox, tetanus, travel immunizations, whooping cough, and yellow fever.

MMR Immunization Inquiry

I was born in 1974.  My mother told me that I was given complete immunizations when I was a child, but she cannot remember what specific immunizations I got.  My mother also cannot find my immunization records at present.  From what I remembered, I may have experienced measles and mumps when I was a child. I’m not sure if I’ve experience rubella.  Now, the hospital that I’ll be working requires all employees to get MMR vaccination.  If you had MMR vaccination before, you have to submit a medical report, which I don’t have (might be lost).

First Question:  Is it safe to get another MMR immunization even if you already had it when you’re a child (assuming that I got vaccinated when I was a child)?

Second Question:  Is it safe to get MMR vaccination as an adult even if you already had experienced measles and mumps (I’m not sure if I’ve experienced rubella)?

Any feedback will be appreciated.  Thank you!

Hi!
Well, even assuming you had MMR vaccination as a child and dead virus was used for immunization it does not guarantee life time protection. Only live attenuated virus is supposed to confer life long immunity. Suffering from measles and mumps does give life long protection. However, only adults who can provide the following are exempted from taking vaccine:
Documents showing you had live attenuated MMR vaccine as a child.
Documents showing you had mumps, and measles.
If you do not have either then you need to undergo blood tests to look for antibodies against measles, mumps, and rubella and hence are immune to these diseases.
In your case, probably you will need to undertake these blood tests. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
Thank you so much for your advice! I really appreciate it.
It seems that the blood test to determine if I have antibodies against measles, mumps, and rubella is not available in different hospitals at my place.

is it safe to have MMR immunization even if you already had experienced measles and mumps before?

I need the certificate of MMR immunization to be able to work in another country.  Unfortunately, I don't have any medical records to show them that I already had measles and mumps before.

Thanks!
Normally, adults without an immunization record and available serological tests are considered susceptible to infection and immunized as appropriate for their age. So, yes, you can take the vaccination. Please, however, consult a doctor at your place before going ahead with the vaccination.
Thanks again for all your help! I really appreciate it!