Immunization & Vaccine Community
Neomycin and Shingles vaccine

This patient support community is for discussions relating to immunizations and vaccines for children and adults, adverse effects, anthrax, cervical cancer, chicken pox, DPT, diphtheria, flu, haemophilus influenza, hepatitis, HPV, measles, meningococcal vaccine, MMR, mumps, passive immunizations, pertussis, pneumonia, polio, rotavirus, rubella, shingles, small pox, tetanus, travel immunizations, whooping cough, and yellow fever.

Neomycin and Shingles vaccine

I read that if you are allergic to neomycin you can't take the shingles vaccine. I am allergic to neosporin topical (it gives me blisters). I assume I can't get the shingles vaccine then, is this correct since Neosporin contains neomycin, polymixin and bacitracin? I am thinking of getting allegy patch testing (but the lab in our town isn't open yet). I am allergic to all of the antibiotic topicals (bacitracin, metrogel, neosporin, clindaymin topical (cleocin T), mupirocin) as well as two steroid topicals and possibly tetracycline as well.
thanks,
mkh9
Avatar_dr_f_tn
People who have had an allergic reaction to gelatin, neomycin both of which are ingredients of the vaccine or any other component of the vaccine should not get the shingles vaccine as it can lead to serious reactions. It is best to consult an expert on immunology about the allergy testing and only after consulting a professional doctor with expertise and experience on vaccination issues can the decision of vaccinating or not vaccinating can be taken. Do take care and keep us posted.
Best of luck!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Best of luck!