Immunization & Vaccine Community
Possible medical error on Pentacel

This patient support community is for discussions relating to immunizations and vaccines for children and adults, adverse effects, anthrax, cervical cancer, chicken pox, DPT, diphtheria, flu, haemophilus influenza, hepatitis, HPV, measles, meningococcal vaccine, MMR, mumps, passive immunizations, pertussis, pneumonia, polio, rotavirus, rubella, shingles, small pox, tetanus, travel immunizations, whooping cough, and yellow fever.

Possible medical error on Pentacel

My son received Pentacel vaccine at 6 month check up.it was third Pentacel  for him. however I received call from nurse saying that he may not received the hib portion because nurse maybe forgot to mix the hib powder. They are not sure if nurse really forgot to mix it or not. Pediatrician said my son received diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis and poliomyelitis portion but not sure about hib portion.he recommend my son to come get hib in 4weeks when he will be 7month old. I am concerning the risk of getting extra hib in case he was actually received the hib portion because the extra dose he will get will be dose number 4 hib. I was reading CDC web and they recommend to have minimum of 8 weeks interval between hib dose 3 and 4.it said minimum recommended age for hib dose  4 is 12-15 month. Is it ok for my son to get the Hib in 4 weeks when he is 7month old? When should my son get next pentacel dose?
Here is the link I saw about interval of hib...

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/pinkbook/downloads/appendices/a/age-interval-table.pdf
Hi!
It is unfortunate that such a situation has arisen. There is no minimum dose interval between third and fourth Hib dose. In this situation, even if the nurse had mixed the third Hib dose, an extra Hib dose will not hurt the child. Nor will it provide extra protection. So, follow the pediatricians instructions please and take your baby for the fourth dose as advised. Take care!