Question about the quantity of Oral polio immunizations I received.
I was looking thru some old medical records and I found my actual polio vaccine certificates.  My immunization records show that I received the following vaccines:

I was given the Oral Polio Vaccine Type 1  (date not available) -  I'm guessing it was 1963
I was given the Type II Sabin Oral Polio Vaccine two times in 1963
I was given the Type 3 Oral Polio Vaccine two times (date not available) -  I'm guessing it was 1963

Do you think it was normal that I received the Type II and Type 3 polio vaccines twice?

My e-mail address is ***@****
The Sabin oral polio vaccine Type 1&2 were licensed in 1961, the Type 3 was licensed in 1962. All three were monovalent vaccines. In 1963 a tri-valent oral polio vaccine was licensed. Monovalent meaning only one polio virus was in the vaccine. Depending on where you lived in the World and the prevalence of polio there, you could have very well received the Type 2 and type 3 twice....as boosters. Some countries still vaccinate with the oral polio vaccine at Birth, 6 wks,10 wks,14 wks,and 15 months and others vaccinate at Birth, 3,4,5 wks,18 months and again at 6,11,and 16 years. The US changed back to the injectable (Salk) vaccine in 1997 because the Oral vaccine can actually cause Polio. The Sabin vaccine was a live vaccine and the attenuated form of the virus can revert to the virulent form. The oral version was easier to administer and provided faster immunity so it is still used in countries where Polio is still prevalent. Most developed countries now use the Salk injectable vaccine which is not live but inactivated and can not cause Polio. It is usually given in 4 doses at 2 and 4 months, 12-18 months and at 4-6 years. Adults traveling to indemic areas can receive an 'adult' polio booster. I remember getting the new Salk vaccine (shot)in Jr.High around 1960. By High School around 1965, we were getting the Sabin oral vaccinations. ~Mac~