Immunization & Vaccine Community
Rabies vaccine immunity duration in Human

This patient support community is for discussions relating to immunizations and vaccines for children and adults, adverse effects, anthrax, cervical cancer, chicken pox, DPT, diphtheria, flu, haemophilus influenza, hepatitis, HPV, measles, meningococcal vaccine, MMR, mumps, passive immunizations, pertussis, pneumonia, polio, rotavirus, rubella, shingles, small pox, tetanus, travel immunizations, whooping cough, and yellow fever.

I had a dog bite mid this year and completed my last series of 5 Anti Rabies injections in May 2013. This morning I was lightly bitten by a dog. Do I once again need the Rabies shots?

How long does a five course PEP for rabies last?

Thanks,
Hi!
If you have been vaccinated earlier and have been bitten again then you will need tow doses, one on the day of bite and another three days later. Every time you are bitten a booster will need to be given. If the animal is a pet and has been immunized, then the vaccine works for three years in the animal. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.