Immunization & Vaccine Community
Swollen Node

This patient support community is for discussions relating to immunizations and vaccines for children and adults, adverse effects, anthrax, cervical cancer, chicken pox, DPT, diphtheria, flu, haemophilus influenza, hepatitis, HPV, measles, meningococcal vaccine, MMR, mumps, passive immunizations, pertussis, pneumonia, polio, rotavirus, rubella, shingles, small pox, tetanus, travel immunizations, whooping cough, and yellow fever.

Swollen Node

Hi Doc,

My 5 year old son just got his final pox & polio shots in prep for school, and at first had a sore left arm, typical.  However, since then has complained that his arm hurts and that it was because he fell off his bike.  Well after investigation post tubbie time I noticed a very swollen node under his left arm pit.  Assuming it was an infection or reaction to the vaccines I have been applying worm compact to reduce and drain as well as Tylenol to reduce slight fever.  What else do you recommend?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there!
It can be a heightened immune reaction in the lymph nodes due to the vaccination. It should subside in one or two days. Acetaminophen is safe and may be given. In case it persists or if the intensity of pain increases seek the opinion of a Pediatrician as soon as possible. It needs to be confirmed whether the swollen gland in the armpit is due to the shots or some other cause. I hope it helps.
Take care and good luck!