Transfer of Live Typhoid Vacc through UP Sex?
Hello--My husband and I are traveling to China (Xi'an & Beijing) in two weeks. We'll be there for ten days total. The Hep A and typhoid vaccines have been recommended to us, but I am nervous to get either due to a bit of a mystery disease that I've been battling over the last year. I seem to be going through a period of high reactivity (i.e., anaphylaxis, irregular beats, thyroid problems--a big bummer, can't wait till it passes). Due to related food allergies, I'm going to be eating only food I bring with me on the trip (very sad, but prudent to avoid anaphylaxis), and I'll drink only bottled water. So I was planning NOT to get Hep A or typhoid vaccines.

I *did* get the H1N1 vaccine three days ago and experienced 24-36 hours of numbness in my arms, legs, and face. So now I'm especially spooked.

Here's my question/concern: Today my husband got the Hep A vaccine (Havrix) and a prescription for Vivotif, the live oral typhoid vaccine. We're trying to conceive, so I'm concerned that if he takes the live vaccine and I take no vaccine, and if we have unprotected intercourse, I could actually receive the live virus through his semen. Would this produce immunity, or would it cause problems? Is this a dumb question? Maybe, but a) can't typhoid be transmitted through sex? and b) I'm spooked about the whole vaccination track. Any advice you could offer would be SO APPRECIATED! Thanks!