Immunization & Vaccine Community
Traveling to Indonesia - Anti-Malarial Drugs
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to immunizations and vaccines for children and adults, adverse effects, anthrax, cervical cancer, chicken pox, DPT, diphtheria, flu, haemophilus influenza, hepatitis, HPV, measles, meningococcal vaccine, MMR, mumps, passive immunizations, pertussis, pneumonia, polio, rotavirus, rubella, shingles, small pox, tetanus, travel immunizations, whooping cough, and yellow fever.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Traveling to Indonesia - Anti-Malarial Drugs

Hello,

I am taking a trip to indonesia for 26 days.  I will be on very remote parts of java, bali, lombok, and sumbawa.
I am getting HEP A, MMR, Dtap boosters.

As for anti-malaria drugs.  Which should I take?  I have heard of Larium, Malarone, and doxycycline but know little about their effectiveness in this region.  I know Malarone is expensive and doxy is not.  I know larium is labeled as the give you horrible nightmares and mess with your head alternative.

I need help because I do not want malaria!
thanks,
justin
Related Discussions
468452_tn?1225968488
My advice would be is take the Malarone. The reason it is so expensive is because it is currently the best one to take with the least side effects. You also don't have to take it for as long as Larium and Doxycycline, I think that you have to take Larium/Doxy for 3 weeks before you visit the malaria zone  and after you return, whereas Malarone you only start to take a couple of days before you go and then I think that you continue you it for a week on your return. Having said that my husband as taken Larium and was fine on it and I took Doxy which made me feel sick. Never had any side effects on Malarone, it is well worth the money.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Immunization & Vaccine Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Control Emotional Eating with this ...