Who should get the Hepatitis B Vaccine?
Hello

Who should get the Hepatitis B Vaccine? I'm a 22 year old female and have gone to check-ups every year. I don't remember if I got this vaccine. Is this vaccine for children or adults? Is it a once in a lifetime shot? Or do you need multiple shots during the course of your life? I'm asking because a young girl in my state passed away from Meningitis and it's been breaking news.

L.H.
Hi!
You can take Hepatitis-B vaccine from birth to any age. Three shots are given—first, then second a month later, and third six months later. This gives life-long immunity.
However, if you are talking about meningitis, you are probably talking about Haemophilus influenzae type b (Hib) vaccine, meningococcal, and pneumococcal vaccines. Meningococcal conjugate vaccine is routinely recommended for all 11 through 18 year olds and for certain high-risk children and adults. Pneumococcal vaccines are recommended in adults 65 years or older, for 2 years and older and at high risk for pneumococcal disease, and for 19-64 year olds who smoke or have asthma. Hib vaccine is recommended for children under 5 years old in the US, and it is usually given to infants starting at age 2 months.
Hope this helps. Take care!