Immunization & Vaccine Community
Who should get the Hepatitis B Vaccine?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to immunizations and vaccines for children and adults, adverse effects, anthrax, cervical cancer, chicken pox, DPT, diphtheria, flu, haemophilus influenza, hepatitis, HPV, measles, meningococcal vaccine, MMR, mumps, passive immunizations, pertussis, pneumonia, polio, rotavirus, rubella, shingles, small pox, tetanus, travel immunizations, whooping cough, and yellow fever.

Who should get the Hepatitis B Vaccine?

Hello

Who should get the Hepatitis B Vaccine? I'm a 22 year old female and have gone to check-ups every year. I don't remember if I got this vaccine. Is this vaccine for children or adults? Is it a once in a lifetime shot? Or do you need multiple shots during the course of your life? I'm asking because a young girl in my state passed away from Meningitis and it's been breaking news.

L.H.
Hi!
You can take Hepatitis-B vaccine from birth to any age. Three shots are given—first, then second a month later, and third six months later. This gives life-long immunity.
However, if you are talking about meningitis, you are probably talking about Haemophilus influenzae type b (Hib) vaccine, meningococcal, and pneumococcal vaccines. Meningococcal conjugate vaccine is routinely recommended for all 11 through 18 year olds and for certain high-risk children and adults. Pneumococcal vaccines are recommended in adults 65 years or older, for 2 years and older and at high risk for pneumococcal disease, and for 19-64 year olds who smoke or have asthma. Hib vaccine is recommended for children under 5 years old in the US, and it is usually given to infants starting at age 2 months.
Hope this helps. Take care!
Hi!
Hope this helps. Take care!