Immunization & Vaccine Community
cat scratch 6 days ago , rabies chance

This patient support community is for discussions relating to immunizations and vaccines for children and adults, adverse effects, anthrax, cervical cancer, chicken pox, DPT, diphtheria, flu, haemophilus influenza, hepatitis, HPV, measles, meningococcal vaccine, MMR, mumps, passive immunizations, pertussis, pneumonia, polio, rotavirus, rubella, shingles, small pox, tetanus, travel immunizations, whooping cough, and yellow fever.

cat scratch 6 days ago , rabies chance

Even gotten help from some good people in medhelp , I still don't know where I should exactly post this question to and how to face , when to end up .
  6 days ago , about 6:00 pm I saw a wild cat near my office , I play with her and feed something , it seems gently and mew to me , then I hug it and walk for about 30 seconds and try to bring it to my office , once inside the door she is go nervous and scratched me . There were 3 wounds and some blood . SO
  1. I wash the wound immediatly  , but only use water , several seconds .
  2. After washing , I rubbing alcohol on my woounds .
  3. Go to the hospital , the doctor simply clean the wound , rubbing iodine tincture 2.5 hours later , and get 2 rabies vaccine and a tetanus vacine after a skin test  3.5 hours later .
  4. Before I was scratched , at least in 2 minutes , I'm sure the cat didn't lick her claw .
  5. Today's noon I saw it again ( it pregnant or have a little fat abdomen , that I'm sure it's the same cat in our company yard ) . it walk in sunshine , seems very normal , not far away there is a car passed away and she didn't showed panic .

There is no ANIMAL CONTROL here and I'm not sure whether I can see it again .
  What the rabies chance ?
  What should I do during and after the shots ?
  When I can be sure it's OK ?

Hi!
If the cat is alive and not showing signs of rabies then chances of your contacting rabies are very minimal. It has been about a week, so watch the cat for another week and see if it has started behaving abnormally. What goes in your favor is that rabies is rare in cats and you cleaned the wound immediately. The signs of rabies in cat include-excess roaring and snapping, violent behavior, unsteady gait, conjunctivitis and keeping the tongue protruded out. In humans the first sign is itch around the wound or mild irritation. This is followed by slurred speech, spasms, increased sensitivity to light, sound and touch, hallucinations, seizures, convulsions etc. Generally post exposure prophylaxis after a dog or raccoon bite consists of 6 doses of modern cell culture vaccines given on Day 0, 3, 7, 14, 28, and 90 days post-exposure.  In your case since one week has passed and it was a cat scratch not a bite, prophylactic ARS or Equine Rabies Immunoglobulin (ERIG) or Human rabies immunoglobulin (HRIG) can be given (3 doses—0-first day of vaccine,7th day, 21st day). In all probability you will not need further vaccination than what you had as rabies is rare in cats but do discuss this with your doctor. Hope this helps. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.

Hi!